Gizmo for cooking gizzards

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
I possess a 22 inch kettle with the hinged cooking grate. Imagine I'm cooking indirectly a whole chicken and would like to cook gizzards off to the side. To hold the gizzards, would a perforated container be preferred or what???

Last edited:
Yah, I usually do them on the stove in a frying pan in butter. I eat a whole pound at a time. Almost no calories/fat it the little bad boys. Cholesterol is the only bad thing.

Never used one of those things. But I don't see why it wouldn't do a good job. I think it will be hard to get the "tough" out of them no matter how you cook them though.

I have to pick up a package of them next trip to the grocery. I haven't had any for quite a while.

I just throw them in a skillet with butter and they get done pretty quick that way. Not sure if simmering them for a "few hours" would tenderize them or not. Does it seem that way for you Tim?

I just throw them in a skillet with butter and they get done pretty quick that way. Not sure if simmering them for a "few hours" would tenderize them or not. Does it seem that way for you Tim?
That's the way my gramps made them and they sure seem tender compared to the ones just fried.

I keep it simple I wrap the gizzard and liver in an aluminum foil pouch sprinkled with a little garlic salt when the whole chickens go on the grill. Few hours later when the chickens are done I pull the pouch. Purdy good that way if you ask me and simple…

I have been to two different Walmarts in my area and neither had gizzards. I don't know if they were just out or quit selling them. I am going to have to look for another source.

The whole chickens I've been getting from costco have not had gizzards inside. I recall they used to.

Yah, a lot of times they pull the liver, gizzard and heart out and sell them separate.

Back