M Glaser

How thin/thick?
What kind of potato?
Fried or baked?
What kind of oil?
What's the oil temp?
How long do you blanch?
Do you fry them once or twice?
What kind of salt and/or spices do you use?
What's your favorite dipping sauce?
How do you make said dipping sauce?

This should be good
icon_smile.gif

I like them thin. Good ol idaho russet potato's deep fried with salt and maybe some cajun seasoning. For dipping sauce i like fry sauce, equal parts mayo and ketchup.

I like salt on my fries and the emphasis on crispy fries at the fast food places has left unhappy. It was always the limp greasy fries that soaked up the salt, especially Wendy's fries, you could count on them. The last fries I had that were an Ah Ha!moment were russets cut lengthwise in one eights.

Originally posted by Jeff R:
Soaked in 2 cups of water with 1/3 cup of sugar.
French Fry recipe

Sliced thin in peanut oil.

I think a woman that commented on these has the right idea:
This is a fine recipe with one exception. The trick to french fries that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside is to first soak then in cold water. Dry thouroughly. Fry TWICE...first a short fry (like blanching vegetables, but in oil), drain and then fry a second time until golden and crispy. This should give the desired results. My friends know I can't eat a soggy fry... and I love fries ;-) ) Happy frying.

Yes a double fry is good but I never have time for that. I have done just the cold sugar water and it does help a lot

Originally posted by M Glaser:
This is a fine recipe with one exception. The trick to french fries that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside is to first soak then in cold water. Dry thouroughly. Fry TWICE...first a short fry (like blanching vegetables, but in oil), drain and then fry a second time until golden and crispy. This should give the desired results. My friends know I can't eat a soggy fry... and I love fries ;-) ) Happy frying.

Agreed. If you want perfect fries, gotta soak them and blanche them.

Try the Cooks Illustrated cold oil method found here.

You put the potatoes in the oil before heating.
I do use Yukon golds, and fry in canola oil, not peanut oil.

Best fries I've ever made!

Originally posted by Bob Correll:

This method works great for me and it's basically idiot proof.

Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:

This method works great for me and it's basically idiot proof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No blanching, correct?

Correct. Slice, put in cold oil, fry until golden brown. Salt and enjoy. You could soak/rinse and then dry the potatoes before frying if you're so inclined but I'm not sure if it's necessary. It might help prevent any excessive browning though.

Back