Giant Whole Pork Loin Need Ideas !

Guy Wallace

TVWBB Super Fan
We have cooked small ones but I went and bought a whole giant pork loin looks like its 30+ inches long and about 6 or so inches round maybe more ! The thing was wider than the cart at Sams Club
icon_biggrin.gif

So How would you guys cook this thing Smoke it ? Grill it ? Cut it into 3 or 4 pieces ? Rub it marinade it ??? I have NO IDEA what to do with the hunk a pork besides eat it .

With me my first thought is rub it and smoke it whole then cut into meal size chunks and freeze ?

So any ideas ?

Thanks Guy

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Guy,
I bought a 9 pounder from Costco.
Yesterday I cooked a third, have a third curing for Canadian bacon, and froze the other third.
Rubbed, grilled and smoked is great, but I don't think low and slow is needed for loin.

I'll let others chime in on that front.

I buy them often. I make a roast out of about a 1/3 of the loin. I cut some around 2.5" thick so I can stuff them and some about 1.5" for a quick meal on the grill.

O man I love stuffed chops so there goes some of it and yap I agree some has to go thinner for reg chops and then I guess I will grill the rest with a cherry sauce my wife makes up so seems like problem solved ! Thanks guys

How do you do the Canadian bacon ? I love the stuf but it is so dang expensive around here I would love to make some !?

I saw the thread were you cooked the loin its why I bought it
icon_smile.gif
I was gona comment but got sidetracked . So yappers a big hunk of it this weekend all rubbed up with some garlic inserted and spices do look good
icon_smile.gif

I bought this loin and went brain dead for some reason . LOooking at how big it was not thinking of doing the right thing and cutting down top size and diffrent cuts . Heck this way its cheaper than buying center cut chops and NO BONE . Iam sure i will buy these often now without a doubt .

How about a stuff and roll. I believe I saw on a cook channel where it was cut in 3/4 inch layer stuffed and rolled up. Looked beautiful-but I have not tried. I'll check for a video....

Yea just go to you tube search: stuff pork loin....quite a few there

I buy the whole loins sometimes when they are on sale and cut them up into smaller sections and freeze. Here a stuffed loin that I did a while back that turned out pretty nice.

Paul

Just an update . I ended up cutting it into 2 kinds a chops and one roast I cut some nice regular chops and some thicker for making stuffed chops ! I gotta say after having made some reg chops and a round of stuffed chops . I will never buy reguar bone in pork chops again . I will just buy these whole loins and cut my own they are just fantastic .

I highly recomend this to anyone that likes chops and pork roasts . IMO its more for your $ and no bone to pay for and they all taste great !And you can cut your chops as thick or thin as you want a big advantage IMO .

Next time Iam at sams I intend to buy another and cut a nice big hunk of it to make some canadian bacon . looking forward to that
icon_smile.gif

Back