Getting the most out of my 18.5 WSM.

JoeF

Hi all! I'm fairly new to smoking and only have two smoking sessions under my belt, both BB's. They came out pretty good for being a newbie, my wife enjoyed them along with my 9 month old (I would think anything is better than that jarred stuff. Lol). Now as I do a couple more dinners, I will eventually like to feed some friends. So my question to the experienced WSMers is. If I were to use both racks, will there be a point where I rotate the ribs on top rack and bottom rack? And if we're to roll and pin them, do I flip them at any time. Basically I'm looking for tips on using both racks. Thank you in advance for your help.

1-ROTATE top to bottom. Never needed to.
2-FLIP--never needed to.

Just start checking for doneness (pull two bones apart and see if the meat separates easily) at the 4 to 4.5 hr mark. This assumes temps were 225-275 most of the cook.

Remember, every time you lift the lid to fiddle, you lose heat/increase the cooking time.

Once the meat is in, LEAVE IT ALONE.

Last edited:
I have an 18 and I have cooked 8 racks of ribs on it, 4 & 4. Do just like Len says and you will be fine. I do use the water pan for ribs.

Basically, you have to learn you're WSM. I get more color on the top grate on mine, so I do rotate when needed.
I never flipped rolled ribs, but try it and see what you think.:wsm:
OBTW, welcome to the board!:)
Tim

Since I have a 22, I usually just cook ribs on the top, and perhaps the "cuttings" on the bottom rack. I do a variation of the 3-2-1 method and yes, I flip them about halfway in the 3 part. Though I don't open and look just for kicks, I'm not at all worried about losing a few minutes of cook, if it that much. Think about it, the food is not going to drop just because the top is off a minute or so, and my wsm quickly comes back up, after-all, you've just fed it a bunch of air so it is going to spike a bit.
Taking off the ribs after foiling, the grill is open several minutes as I remove from the foil and put on a sauce to glaze. Don't worry about it open for a few minutes during a 5-6 hour cook. Heck, you gotta check to see if they are done, might wish to swap the ribs around if cooking too much on the ends....etc. etc...........................d

Back