Getting sweeter bb ribs

Bryon Piequet

TVWBB Fan
I am getting great smoke flavor but I am wondering how to get them a sweet/hot favor. I do a dry rub off the shelf called sweet hot, smoke with cherry until done. Finish sauce is stubbs. They are very good but just missing that sweet favor. I have tried honey and brown sugar also. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Not knocking Stubbs, but it's the last sauce I'd use if wanting sweet. You could make your own No. 5 sauce and sweeten to taste or just pick up some Sweet Baby Rays. Lots of folks that like sweet ribs use Blues Hog or at least use it as a base.

I make my own rub, it's half Splenda. I spritz them with apple cider. I don't glaze or sauce them. They are sweet and succulent
icon_smile.gif

Bob

Byron - I'm a big fan of Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet. It's thinner than many off the shelf sauces and I think you could doctor with some heat - tabasco / pepper sauce - pretty easily. It's available online. Good luck!!

just saw an episode of triple D on the Food Network........he visited a BBQ place in the South where they went all out for sweetness.

Their rub had raw sugar, they basted with LOTS of apple juice and they finished them with LOTS of honey instead of sauce.

Guy commented on how sweet they would probably turn out; however, he really liked the finished product.

I agree that Stubbs is not the way to go to achieve sweet.

mix a fruit jelly (apple, cherry, currant) with bbq sauce and heat until the jelly has melted into the sauce. Glaze your ribs with that during the last 30 or so min of cooking.

There's a prior mention of No. 5 sauce. A great base sauce, but I found it quite vinegary until I added 1 T. honey + 1 T. molasses. For a "sweet" sauce (i.e., ribs), I upped both those ingredients to 2 tbsp. each, and it seems to work nicely.

Good luck.

Byron, I use Earl Campbell's rib rub it has a brown sugar base. To get a sweeter taste I mix a half to a full pack of cherry jello powder in the rub. For the sauce I use Jack Daniels old #7 BBQ sauce and add a little of the rub in the sauce. Every one seen to love my ribs.

Adding honey and/or brown sugar to sweet baby rays will get you going in the right direction.. Actually adding honey and/or brown sugar to any off the shelf sauce will get you going in the right direction. Experiment until you find what you like.. That's what so great about Q.

Back