Genny Plat for $50- restoration money pit???

Loc

TVWBB Fan
I found this Genesis Platinum for $50. I want to restore it for my buddy (his grill lacks side burner and he sets a cast iron pan directly on his wobbly flavorizer bars -and scorches his knuckles- to fry up chicken).

19CB0941-B349-4047-8A86-932BED9E1336.jpeg6E60E6E5-94E3-4649-B2A0-4CB6F4B7FC1C.jpeg

Previously, I’ve dealt with 2 Genesis Platinums that had surface rust on the frames. But this one looks rusted through at the weld below the left door. This is beyond anything I’ve dealt with. I don’t have welding gear or access to it easily. For someone who does, then the rust may not be a showstopper.

Seeking advice here: beyond the usual cost of possibly replacing burners and FB’s, is the frame rust issues going to make this grill a money pit to restore for someone with intermediate skills?

I'd keep looking.

here is a platinum C in Folsom CA that looks to be in almost ready to cook on status, also for $50.

He says it needs burners.

243253110_4041374259301113_4763026560054575879_n.jpg

Maybe it's just me, butI don't really like the lid with the monster handles. If you want a Gold Stainless lid, I'm 15-20 mins away from the one above and you can have it for free.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan. I’ll check out the green plat c. About the SS lid, I’ve never owned a stainless steel Weber lid. I am restoring a SS Genesis Gold for my neighbor and found that there is an inner liner that is rusting out.

What is the purpose of the liner? My porcelain lids didn’t have this extra liner. I plan to break off the lip portion that is rusting/hanging off and then clean the lid.

9FCBDDA5-0AD8-4556-8E3A-3178AAB32969.jpeg

Last edited:
If'
Thanks Dan. I’ll check out the green plat c. About the SS lid, I’ve never owned a stainless steel Weber lid. I am restoring a SS Genesis Gold for my neighbor and found that there is an inner liner that is rusting out.

What is the purpose of the liner? My porcelain lids didn’t have this extra liner. I plan to break off the lip portion that is rusting/hanging off and clean then clean the lid.

View attachment 40437
Its primary purpose is to prevent the stainless from discoloring from the heat.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, butI don't really like the lid with the monster handles. If you want a Gold Stainless lid, I'm 15-20 mins away from the one above and you can have it for free.
Dan, I believe the cookboxes and lid endcaps are unique to that series, which may mean the lids are different, too. Again, I defer to @Jeff MA who has restored a few of those.

Reactions: Loc
That is a Platinum Series II which is somewhat of a rarity and has its own following. They were only produced for very, very few years. @Jeff MA has done a lot of work on these and you can view some of his threads if you are interested in this style of grill. Many parts are unique to this series and may be hard to find without a similar donor grill.
Several years ago, reading threads like Jeff’s was what made me decide to locate a Gen Plat to restore myself. I still have that grill, the big frame is built like a tank.

But none of the threads I’ve read seem to address repair of big gaping holes like the ones I’m seeing on this maroon plat. I read one that mentioned using Quiksteel but that seems applicable for smaller repairs.

Several years ago, reading threads like Jeff’s was what made me decide to locate a Gen Plat to restore myself. I still have that grill, the big frame is built like a tank.

But none of the threads I’ve read seem to address repair of big gaping holes like the ones I’m seeing on this maroon plat. I read one that mentioned using Quiksteel but that seems applicable for smaller repairs.
There is a Platinum Series and also a Platinum Series II. I wasn't sure you understood that they are very different.

The only long-term fix for severe rust is to cut it out and replace it. As you say, JB Weld may be ok for small, non- structural repairs, but likely the majority of the rust has started on the unprotected inside of the frame tubing and is not apparent from the outside. The only way to know is to take it apart and inspect it.

Last edited:
@Loc If you want to share more details about what you might want, please share them. If see something I'll link it here. I've been fortunate to score some pretty good bargains this summer and fall. I'm tapped out on space but like a moth flying to a bug light I can't seem to stop looking for deals.

@Loc If you want to share more details about what you might want, please share them. If see something I'll link it here. I've been fortunate to score some pretty good bargains this summer and fall. I'm tapped out on space but like a moth flying to a bug light I can't seem to stop looking for deals.
Dan, thanks for the gesture. I am following up on the green Plat II C from Folsom^^. If it checks out, I’ll have my hands on it today.

I hunted for one like this years ago, but only managed to find (and restore) a Genesis Gold C with the big Summit frame. The Gold C has been a great and trusty grill, but I really like the extra acreage from the bigger aluminum side tables of the Plat. Plus, the side burner knob is located on the front and frees up table space for beers🍺.

There is a Platinum Series and also a Platinum Series II. I wasn't sure you understood that they are very different.

The only long-term fix for severe rust is to cut it out and replace it. As you say, JB Weld may be ok for small, non- structural repairs, but likely the majority of the rust has started on the unprotected inside of the frame tubing and is not apparent from the outside. The only way to know is to take it apart and inspect it.
Hi Ed, that’s a good question. I am familiar with the Platinum II series like the one Jeff Ma has. What is Series I?

I've never had a stainless lid. I picked up a Gold for parts a month or two ago. The lid is in good shape. I don't see any rust on the inner liner. If you want it, and are going to be in Folsom I'm close if you want to pick it up.

I'll attach a couple pics in a min.

That is super generous of you! You already did enough by steering me away from the rusty maroon Plat II. My nephew is on his way back from Folsom right now with the green Platinum II. He says frame is solid and intact.

If I find myself in Folsom soon, I will ping you and take you up on your offer.

That is super generous of you! You already did enough by steering me away from the rusty maroon Plat II. My nephew is on his way back from Folsom right now with the green Platinum II. He says frame is solid and intact.

If I find myself in Folsom soon, I will ping you and take you up on your offer.
Sure. I picked the gold up for parts, yet I have no use for the lid and I'd like to see it find a good home.

Hi Ed, that’s a good question. I am familiar with the Platinum II series like the one Jeff Ma has. What is Series I?
This one is from 1998, so it would have been produced at around the same time the Series II was produced. It is essentially a Genesis 1000 with extra detailing on the lid, not an entirely different grill like the Series II.

Attachments

• 00000_1eeoSrXhz7E_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00000_1eeoSrXhz7E_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210721_162453.jpg
    20210721_162453.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 12
This one is from 1998, so it would have been produced at around the same time the Series II was produced. It is essentially a Genesis 1000 with extra detailing on the lid, not an entirely different grill like the Series II.
Is that one yours too, Ed?

Back