Genesis Silver B replacement

BradG

Good morning, new member and first post. I have a 2000 Genesis Silver B NG that I bought new. It needs a couple of things but overall has been a great unit for me. It has done everything i have asked of it. We have used it every week. Two questions if I may. I am considering replacing it and wondered what the best Weber replacement would be. If I do replace it is there a market for my existing grill. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Brad, I suggest you put a few bucks back into the grill that served you so well for 20 years and march on. You can replace the burners, flavorizer bars, cooking grates and igniter for bit over $100 with all good quality Stainless steel parts. A quick clean on the inside and you basically have a new grill with parts that will last you many years to come.

Or you can do a full restore to that silver b and basically have a brand new grill and it would cost you less than 1/4 what a new one would cost and most likely last longer as well...

Just check some of the rehab threads on here.

But, if you really want to replace it with a new Weber Genesis, I suggest you grab the style with the open frame underneath. The cabinet style grills turn to rust buckets inside in just a few years.

There is a market for you old grill, but unless you really clean it up and everything is working well, it is under $100 most likely.

I agree with everyone here. If the frame of your grill is solid with no rust you can bring back that grill to like new for a fraction of the amount a new one costs. And even rusted frames can be fixed. Bruce is the expert here.

There are lots of guys on here that are experts. In fact, I envy some of the restores other guys have done. Since, I do it more for flipping grills, I don't tend to get as fancy as some, but if you look through some of the restore threads on here, you will be amazed at what a tired old Silver B or Genesis 1000 can look like with a few bucks and some time and effort.

Unless that old grill has crumbled into a pile of metal oxides you're WAY better off getting some top notch parts (grates and flavo bars) from Dave Santana, a good set of burners, a good cleaning and some minor repairs/repainting and you will never find anything new from Weber that performs as well as your old one

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and guidance. There is a certain appeal to keep my current unit. Lot's of memories and overall the frame is in good shape. As it happens I currently have a bit of time on my hands..... I will be researching the forum and will source and order the parts to bring my Silver B back to as new condition. This looks like a great community and I look forward to many more years of grilling on my Weber. Thanks again.

Brad,
Welcome to the TVWBB forum! I think you are on to a good plan. Post some pictures for us when you can. That will help with us giving you advice along the way.

Brad,
Welcome to the TVWBB forum! I think you are on to a good plan. Post some pictures for us when you can. That will help with us giving you advice along the way.
Thank you so much for this. I definitely will once I get started. Seems like a great group here.

Brad, I suggest you take a lot of pictures before you start your rehab so you can compare them to the finished product. It is soooo gratifying.

saw this on one of the newer grills posted the other day. I had high hopes for the new open cart design but to see this much rust on a grill not that old. Guess we will be replacing those with Wood slats :) at some point.

Added another example

Attachments

• BFF15428-62CF-44EA-B5D7-161E2BAFAB20.png
    BFF15428-62CF-44EA-B5D7-161E2BAFAB20.png
    271.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 994E8804-DD0F-43A4-8D43-E502169CEEEF.png
    994E8804-DD0F-43A4-8D43-E502169CEEEF.png
    429.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
saw this on one of the newer grills posted the other day. I had high hopes for the new open cart design but to see this much rust on a grill not that old. Guess we will be replacing those with Wood slats :) at some point.
Oh man, that is a shame! You'd think Weber would have learned by now....(n)

Man, that is the first photo I have seen showing that problem on the new grills. That is disturbing. That is just going to spread to other frame pieces as well. Another year or two and that grill will be a disaster.

Why replace it when you can rehab it they said.....and look at it now! Thanks to all who contributed very kind words of encouragement. I read the forum and dove right in. Once I received all of the parts it was fairly straightforward. Looking forward to many more years of grilling. Here are a couple of before and after shots.20200630_191033.jpg20200630_190813.jpg20200630_190755.jpg20200627_165416.jpg20200628_133255.jpg

Any good source for replacement lids? My Silver B had a hinge fail on the aluminum side panel.

Otherwise, it still runs great at 18 years old.

Brad: Great job. Good for another 20.

Greg: Your best bet is to look for a donor grill that someone is selling really cheap or free. Virtually any 3 burner Genesis grill from 1985 to 2005 should fit your cook box. That is a lot of grills to choose from.

If necessary, I could probably send you an end cap (aluminum side panel) but shipping alone would cost as much as a cheap donor grill. THey pop up pretty regular if you are near or in a metro area.

In actuality, your grill almost became someone elses donor grill.

Snagging another used one cheap has occurred to me.

Microburst winds have sent this one tumbling across my lawn more than once.

Brad: Great job. Good for another 20.

Greg: Your best bet is to look for a donor grill that someone is selling really cheap or free. Virtually any 3 burner Genesis grill from 1985 to 2005 should fit your cook box. That is a lot of grills to choose from.

If necessary, I could probably send you an end cap (aluminum side panel) but shipping alone would cost as much as a cheap donor grill. THey pop up pretty regular if you are near or in a metro area.

In actuality, your grill almost became someone elses donor grill.
Will the grills with thermometer in the middle of the lid fit the grills with
the thermometer on the right side.

Yes sir. As long as they are Silver/Gold B/C before 2006. The newer 2006 on up E3xx grills will not fit.

Back