Genesis S330 LP Refurb Questions and Intro

BrendenLow

Hey Folks. Great Forum you have here and just what I was looking to find in my search.

I am rehabbing, although that may be too strong of a word, a Genesis S330 my father-in-law gifted me last fall. It was really in pretty good condition and he took great care of it but at almost 10 years old I figured now was the time to put the effort into getting it in tip top shape.

I disassembled the mechanical bits and worked on it with some de-greaser this weekend. I also replaced the casters with some hard rubber ones from the hardware store as they seemed more robust and frankly cheaper that the $30/ wheel I was seeing for OEM. I reached out to Weber and they are sending me new gas tubes under warranty and were kind enough to throw in the bottom panel for the cabinet which had developed a bit of rust. Purchased a non-OEM igniter kit from Amazon, but happy to consider OEM if the folks in the know recommend it.

My questions to the forum are regarding heat deflectors, flavorizer bars, and control knobs. I am considering just replacing the SS deflectors and bars but am curious about the quality of the aftermarket parts. OEm are quite expensive for such simple pieces of metal so I may salvage the bars if non-OEM are sub-standard.

As for knobs, I would like to replace these but was curious if there is a generic all metal option which can fit the stem? The originals appear to be backordered, and frankly I don't like having rubber and plastic bits if possible so if there is an alternative I would want to make sure it fits before ordering.

Thanks in advance for the guidance

Hey Folks. Great Forum you have here and just what I was looking to find in my search.

I am rehabbing, although that may be too strong of a word, a Genesis S330 my father-in-law gifted me last fall. It was really in pretty good condition and he took great care of it but at almost 10 years old I figured now was the time to put the effort into getting it in tip top shape.

I disassembled the mechanical bits and worked on it with some de-greaser this weekend. I also replaced the casters with some hard rubber ones from the hardware store as they seemed more robust and frankly cheaper that the $30/ wheel I was seeing for OEM. I reached out to Weber and they are sending me new gas tubes under warranty and were kind enough to throw in the bottom panel for the cabinet which had developed a bit of rust. Purchased a non-OEM igniter kit from Amazon, but happy to consider OEM if the folks in the know recommend it.

My questions to the forum are regarding heat deflectors, flavorizer bars, and control knobs. I am considering just replacing the SS deflectors and bars but am curious about the quality of the aftermarket parts. OEm are quite expensive for such simple pieces of metal so I may salvage the bars if non-OEM are sub-standard.

As for knobs, I would like to replace these but was curious if there is a generic all metal option which can fit the stem? The originals appear to be backordered, and frankly I don't like having rubber and plastic bits if possible so if there is an alternative I would want to make sure it fits before ordering.

Thanks in advance for the guidance
HI Brenden, the valve stem size is common to most grills. The knob size would have to match your grill to fit into knob trim piece. Some high end brands use die cast metal knobs. Generic knobs are plastic

Others will comment insides of the grill.

Thanks for the assistance. I will do a deep clean of the bars and heat deflectors instead of buying new ones. In my excitement I was going to go shiny and new but no point in shelling out money when a good cleaning will suffice.

Still going to replace the ignition and gas tubes and see how she runs.

As for the knobs, I had not considered needing to fit with the trim piece. Maybe I will go with OEN unless anyone has a good solid alternative that would look nice.

Also, I am looking to add a griddle top as a replacement for one side of the SS grates. Any advice on drop in pieces that will fit nicely in place of one side of my grates?

Brenden, on my S330 the grates and bars are SS so yours should clean up fine. The heat deflectors were enameled and were rusting quite badly so I replaced them with SS. You can find them on Amazon or Dave Santana makes the ultimate ones. There is a metal plate on the left front, inside the firebox above the sear burner, called the sear burner heat shield. (part # 62765) This is prone to rusting out, along with the screw that holds it on. You should at least replace the screw with a SS one and apply anti-seize to it while you still can, if it has not already disintegrated. As for the griddle, I just have a no-name brand that I sit on top of the grates. Works for me!

Thanks Richard! I actually don't have a heat sheild in this one so I guess it likely rusted out and was never replaced. What does the part do specifically? looks like the screw hole is free so I should be able to drop it in pretty easily.

Last edited:
I think it is to protect the igniter wiring from the extra heat if you have the left/sear/middle burners all on. I actually had the wires catch fire and burn up and Weber replaced them all for me for free. There is a new version on the later model S330 now that goes completely across the whole front of the firebox. You might want to look into that for the extra protection if you are going to replace it. If you need some pictures let me know and I will take some for you.

Thanks Richard! I actually don't have a heat sheild in this one so I guess it likely rusted out and was never replaced. What does the part do specifically? looks like the screw hole is free so I should be able to drop it in pretty easily.

Hi Brenden,

I have an EP330 and just did a rehab recently. Here's a pic of the new heat shield. I went w/ the OEM. It was a bit of a challenge getting the old screw out, but not too bad. If you haven't already seen them, Chris has some great videos over on the Virtual Weber Gas Grill that detail deep cleaning. They are definitely worth checking out.

1594123166844.jpeg

Hi Brenden,

I have an EP330 and just did a rehab recently. Here's a pic of the new heat shield. I went w/ the OEM. It was a bit of a challenge getting the old screw out, but not too bad. If you haven't already seen them, Chris has some great videos over on the Virtual Weber Gas Grill that detail deep cleaning. They are definitely worth checking out.

View attachment 8832
Jim, I knew someone here had posted a pic of that plate. Thanks for reposting it.

I have a brand new heat shield for S-330 that Weber sent me last week that I never ordered. They don't want it back and I have no use for it. Have no idea how much they cost but my price is free.

I have a brand new heat shield for S-330 that Weber sent me last week that I never ordered. They don't want it back and I have no use for it. Have no idea how much they cost but my price is free.
Please check your message box.

JoeB! That would be awesome! I am in the Carolina and would happily trade some mustard rub or other local flavor for the part.

I have received almost all of the parts I ordered except a seer burner which is coming next week, and will be installing everything today.

New parts include:

Burners, Ignitor kit, Flavorizer Bars, Heat deflector, Heat Shield, Knobs, Casters, and cabinet bottom. All in I am out about $180 which I am pretty comfortable with once the grill was a handle down.

The only question I have is whether I should go ahead and replace the hose and regulator? Any recs on good quality?

I would wait until you replace the other parts and fire it up before replacing the regulator. If it runs fine leave it. My S330 is about the same age and it is working fine and expect it to for a few years yet.

I agree with Richard. No reason to replace good parts. But, if you do, you can get one off Amazon for about $9 or about $16 depending on what kind of connection you need.
I would get it all back together and then hook it up and do a leak test before firing it up. If it has a leak, replace it, if not and the grill runs good, then throw some steaks on and have at it.

Back