Genesis Platinum C - is it time to retire?

Just remember do NOT use a ScotchBrite on that enamel. Use something like plain old Windex and steel wool

So what came as a replacement lid sounds like a special production "run" just for replacements. I don't think a black lid was ever offered with grey ends and a stainless handle. If the handle is tubular then the ends are probably Platinum ends? I think they would have to be. If so, then that means a Silver lid panel will fit into Platinum ends - something I did not realize. A Platinum handle will not fit on Silver ends. I think the black lid will look really nice on the stainless frame.

On the frame - I'm pretty sure you will need to join the legs, from left to right, down low to provide stability and prevent cracking of the stainless at the welds up top. Right now the floor in your grill is an important structural part (joining the legs). If you can find a "snap-in" lower wire rack from a later Silver C it might fit right in there and give enough support. You would need the snap-in type from a later Silver C, not the "lay-in" style that just sits there (lay-in style was used on earlier grills). Notice the lower left-to-right cross bars that Bruce has on his grill above. The rack Bruce has there is a lay-in rack. He can use this type of rack because he has those left-to-right lower cross bars (which I'm pretty sure he added).

Yah, those are welded in. HOwever, you can add the crossmemeber with the star connecting nuts as well. No welding required.
Not having the welding skills I admire Bruce for obtaining, I used the connecting nut method on the Platinum I previously owned. I wish I had a better picture, but you can see the bolt outlined on the left leg. The frame tube pieces I used in the front and back were made from stainless, preserving the integrity of the construction. You either have to do something like this or use the wire rack to hold the legs together.

Front View Marked up.jpg

I have bought long threaded rod and done it that way as well. Works quite well
Larry,
I believe that is what you did for the front portion of the Summit you sold me. I kept that arrangement when I restored it. Seems like it gives more tension than two separate star connectors.

Long Thread part.JPG

IMG_0238.jpeg

Ya know I totally forgot I did that to it. I know I did it to my old original Genesis 2, though now it's got a totally different frame thanks to having been crushed :D, and I did it to my dad's as well. Totally forgot about the Summit though

If you are so inclined I did a thread on using a wood 1x1 instead of metal for the front and rear bars instead of metal. It was easier and cheaper.

That's actually pretty nice, especially as mentioned that they matched the light gray side pieces. I think I would swap out that modern Weber badge with the one from your original Platinum hood.
Agree - very happy that it matches with the gray sides. Also like the round, stainless handle that matches the original.

Definitely am planning to change out the badge.

Agree - very happy that it matches with the gray sides. Also like the round, stainless handle that matches the original.

Definitely am planning to change out the badge.

Not sure if you've seen this or not. Some good tips on restoring the badge.

I kinda like the badge on the new lid, but I would keep the old badge too. You can always swap them out later when the new one starts to look bad. No biggie either way, the real job is getting all the rusty parts off and deciding how to remake that frame. You have enough choices, should be interesting to see how you approach it.

Back