Genesis Platinum C - is it time to retire?

Hi,

Read through this forum a lot of times - but finally joined. I am the original owner of a Genesis Platinum. 5 years ago, I took it apart and refurbed the best I could (replaced burners, flavorizers, removed as much rust as I could from the bottom shelf and painted with rustoleum) - and have used it happily for another 5 years.

This is where I am at today ... the bottom tray is rusting out and now there is rust on the lid liner (which last I cooked got on the food).

How bad it is to use without the liner? I've read where it doesn't warm up as well and that the stainless will discolor. I've looked for "new" lids - and it seems like even if I found one - shipping seems to makes them prohibitive. I've looked on facebook marketplace and haven't found a local lid (stainless or enameled) - and even that will be a pain - as I don't have a way to pick anything up. Also I was going to go in this spring and completely remove the bottom shelf and make something to replace (I've seen a few good posts here). Finally, when I went to go use it last week, the QCC1 tank connector just broke - so another expense (small) there.

My parents said they would chip in some for new grill (birthday). My wife says she if ok with me getting a new grill. I am getting some $ back from the tax man. I don't want to refurb anything - I just don't have the time.

Thoughts?

And if I decide to get rid of it, anyone in the Houston area want it? - I would love to see it go to a loving home. Also - is there anything new worth buying? Seems like a lot of advice here would be to refurb a grill and not get nice new weber - but still interested. Tried looking for any brand USA made one - and can't find one in a reasonable price range.

Thanks!

View attachment 67555
View attachment 67556
Replying a little late to this post but have you reached out to Weber? I have a 2005 Genesis Gold C purchased in 2005 and my liner started deteriorating (not as bad as yours). In 2018, I contacted weber and they sent me a replacement one (of course they no longer make the stainless one so I got a black one.) free of charge.

Replying a little late to this post but have you reached out to Weber? I have a 2005 Genesis Gold C purchased in 2005 and my liner started deteriorating (not as bad as yours). In 2018, I contacted weber and they sent me a replacement one (of course they no longer make the stainless one so I got a black one.) free of charge.
Yes! Thank you for mentioning this. I did figure this out and have already made the claim and received the (black) replacement lid from Weber.

Back