Genesis II vs Napoleon Prestige

Howard

I am looking to buy a new grill and have always had my eyes set on getting a Genesis II (with sear zone). Lately, I have been looking into the Napoleon Prestige series with its side sear burner and rotisserie included. It seems that that the Genesis II is either the same build quality or better than the Napoleon. Napoleon has more features.

I am also open to spending more for a bigger grill or the Summit. Napoleon has their Prestige Pro series.

Any thoughts?

Two years ago I sold my 12 year old Weber Summit (650 or 670) and replaced it with a Napolean Prestige Pro 650. As you stated, Napolean has several features that caught my attention, such as lights inside the hood, a deeper top shelf, magnetic closures for the cabinet drawers and what appears to be an overall larger cooking surface. The build on it appears to be as nice as the current Webers and it has held up well. I don’t regret buying the Napolean.

I personally really like the Genesis II Special Edition with the open cart, 9mm stainless grates, handle light and sear burner - especially in crimson red! I prefer older "classic" Genesis grills, but this version is one new grill I would love to own.

I think Napoleon is a worthy competitor for Weber. So if you compare features and see it differently I don't think you would go wrong.

If you have any hopes of ever doing GOOD rotisserie get the Napoleon. IIRC it has a cast fire box (or at least real stainless steel) unlike the Summit which turns into a complicated expensive rust bucket in short order and the Genesis which is useless for Rotisserie

I agree that the Napoleon would be the better choice if rotisserie is an important consideration. If not, from what I have seen in person, the Genesis II in that special edition open cart model as posted would definitely be my pick.

It's too bad weber just doesn't bite the bullet and realize that compared to the old style Genesis the new one is not up to what the standards were for versatility of the old one. And just make a model with some kind of burner across the back whether conventional (as in the old US made Ducane) or IR as in most modern high end grills

I think when they went to the “modern” design with more stainless and only fixed side shelves on the first 300 series “sidewinder” that some customers complained about the lack of work space. Goes along with what you said, Larry, as I feel the fold up table was a great Weber feature. The front burner design also facilitated the introduction of an “extra” “sear” burner. Not a bad feature in my personal experience but not worth dumping the classic E-W burner layout to offer it.

Thanks for the responses. Rotisserie isn't a very important consideration but it's nice to have. I can see myself getting the rotisserie basket and using it as well.

I guess I have to go check out the individual grills and compare. Previously I have only looked at the Weber Genesis IIs.

I always wondered why Napoleon grills are not that popular here in the US as Weber. Although coming from our neighbor in the north. In Europe they are hugely popular and sales are probably similar to Weber.
If I would be in the market for a new grill I would definitely have a look at them. Their built quality is awesome. But as far as used ones they are as rare as a unicorn.

The BBQ Fireplace store where I have bought numerous grills through the years, including lots of Weber’s, stopped selling Weber grills because Weber allowed the large chain box stores to discount their grills more than he could, yet he stocked parts, provided service, etc.
Napolean is now one of his flagship brands and this where I bought my Napolean.

The BBQ Fireplace store where I have bought numerous grills through the years, including lots of Weber’s, stopped selling Weber grills because Weber allowed the large chain box stores to discount their grills more than he could, yet he stocked parts, provided service, etc.
Napolean is now one of his flagship brands and this where I bought my Napolean.

There's a pretty large grill speciality store in my area. They sell Napoleon, weber and broilmaster grills. I've spoken to the owner numerous times and he rates broilmaster the best. Then weber. Then Napoleon. He says Napoleon is good. Way better than typical big box grills. But that weber build quality is just better as is the warranty. Broilmaster quality is in a class by itself but their design just isn't for everyone.

There's a pretty large grill speciality store in my area. They sell Napoleon, weber and broilmaster grills. I've spoken to the owner numerous times and he rates broilmaster the best. Then weber. Then Napoleon. He says Napoleon is good. Way better than typical big box grills. But that weber build quality is just better as is the warranty. Broilmaster quality is in a class by itself but their design just isn't for everyone.
As is with anything in life that we embrace there are definitely loyalties and Biases. Who is right and who is wrong, the answer is nobody. It's all about preference and choices. When I began building the patio area I had been dreaming about for the last 10 years a good quality grill was at the top of my list. In an act that is very much out of character for me I researched the life out of this topic. My neighbor and a few friends all have Weber and they rave about their Weber weather it was 15 years old or 2 years old so Weber was on my list. There are a couple large multi brand dealers near me so when I finally narrowed my list down to 2 or 3 grills I went and did the "eyeball" test and got hands on with the grills on my radar. The Napoleon was far sturdier than it's counterparts. It just felt much more substantial. Napoleon had a couple nice little "extras" that were attractive but not necessary however having a bit of flash and a few nice accessories isn't a bad thing. The grill is going to be the centerpiece or main focal point of my patio area so it had to also have a certain amount of "pop" but still had to be a well built long lasting grill. The Napoleon rotisserie motor is stronger and capable of turning heavier loads than their competitors and overall was much more solidly built. Weber's pop up rotisserie seemed a bit gimicky and flimsy. The spit felt softer too. End of the day I went with the Napoleon Prestige Pro 500 NG. The 9.5mm ss grates, the infrared sizzle zone is insane, heating to 1800 degrees almost instantly and blows away Weber's sear burner not to mention having it as a side burner and not in the main grilling area gave me more cooking space, and contrary to what many believe, the Napoleon warranty blows the competition out of the water.

The Weber Genesis line does not have a pop up rotisserie. Be that is it may, the Genesis with a rotisserie is a waste of effort anyway due to burner layout of new style Genesis and Spirits. So if you REALLY want to do quality rotisserie you need an actual rotisserie burner which I believe the Napoleon has. Kudos for a good choice. I have looked also at a multi line dealer. And while the Broilmaster is built like a tank, it's low on the versatility list. Also it's kind of an ugly duckling. Frankly I was truly impressed with the Napoleons I saw there.

I think you made a fine - and well informed choice. I am on the fence about the Genesis II. I do like how it LOOKS, but we have had a number of reports of thin firebox and premature rust, including internal burner holders that cannot be readily remedied. I have looked at some Napoleon grills, too. They have their own style, even if I prefer a Weber with a color porcelain hood and open cart. That sear burner sounds pretty impressive.

Maybe you can post some pictures. I would be interested to verify that the Prestige model includes a rear rotisserie burner as Larry mentioned. That would definitely set it well above the Genesis II line. While Weber's Summits have that (and it sounds by mention of the pop-up rotisserie that you were looking at those, too), but I am totally unimpressed with the current Summit. I hope that somehow Weber pulls something out of their hat with a QUALITY BUILT Summit II sometime soon.

Back