Genesis II E310 thoughts.

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Well, I grabbed a Free Genesis II E310 today. You say: "Yah, sure, and there had to be something wrong with it". And you would be correct. It had a fight with a 4000 lb automobile and lost. At least that is what I assume happened to it. From the add, it looked like it was mainly a bent lower frame and the cookbox and lid were unharmed. I figured at some point, I would come across a rehab special and need some parts so I grabbed it. Plus, I just wanted to get my hands on one to examine it a bit closer.

Jon T, this review is for you and anyone else that may be interested.

I believe this grill was one of the first years of the Genesis II design (2017). That is good since I was interested in how they would hold up against rust. I am assuming it was purchased in 2017 and after 3 years, I have to say that I found NO rust anywhere on it. I did notice some suspect areas but after a close inspection, I did not find rust. One place of particular interest was the bottom slats that have plastic end caps on them that snap into the frame. I pulled a few of those off the slats and there was no rust, however, there was moisture still in them as I had driving home with the grill in my pickup bed in a snow/rain storm for 3 hours last night. I want to say that it looks like Weber has done a good job rust proofing these new grills, but I hesitate for two reasons. First, the grill is only three years old and I don't know how the grill was sheltered between cooks. It may have been a garage queen as evidenced by the collision damage. Second, the grill didn't look like it has been used more than a half dozen times. I also want to comment that the grill seemed very sturdy overall and it didn't seem like weber skimped on metal thickness. I wonder what the car looks like. hahaha

While it is a parts grill and I did salvage several of the frame parts, the lid, cookbox and manifold. Two of the valve stems on the manifold were slightly bent. They still turn very smoothly but, I will have to check it for leaks if I every wind up using it on a grill. The previous owners snatched the wheels, the electronic igniter module, the knobs, the flavorizer bars and the cooking grates. They even grabbed the propane hose/regulator off of it.

I assume they either bought a new identical grill, or let someone else cannibalize it before they put it out on the curb for me. But, I did get the cook box, the lid, and the burners along with the frame parts. And like I said all in great condition and relatively clean.

So, on to the photos. I didn't take one before I took it all apart, but you can clearly see the fender bender on the right side.
20200404-1.jpg
This is the bucket of parts that I salvaged. You can also see the cook box. I don't have a photo of the lid, but it was in good shape and is just plain black.
20200404-3.jpg
Here is the cook box it seems well built although I am pretty sure these are like the 2007 and up E series grills and are a little less thick aluminum than the older models.
You will notice that it looks pretty darn clean for three years of use. The burners are rectangular by the way. I am not sure if that is a better design or not. I don't see an advantage over the classic round ones.
20200404_120416 - Copy.jpg

Here is a side view of the damaged legs. It was a pretty strong hit, but notice the two cross members. They both basically came out straight. That is what I mean by Weber seemingly using a little more substantial steel than what I expected they would.
20200404-4.jpg
You can see below where the cross member basically got shoved back and through the leg. Like I said, the cross member basically didn't get damaged though.
20200404-5.jpg

Anyone know what this wire rack was for? Where does it go. It was laying there with the grill and is in great condition except for the right front flange got bent up a bit.
20200404-6.jpg

Ok, this is something I took note of. The valves now have this rubber boot on them instead of the gray silicone disks. It reminds me of a ball joint boot. I would consider it an improvement.
20200404-7.jpg

Anyone know what this wire rack was for? Where does it go.

weber-genesis-ii-e410.jpg

It holds the disposable drip pan.

Oh, WOW, it seems a little ridiculous to have that big rack just to hold a drip pan. There really isn't much room to set stuff on it below the cook box. It is actually much sturdier than the wire racks on the older Silver/Golds and 1000's.

Well, I grabbed a Free Genesis II E310 today. You say: "Yah, sure, and there had to be something wrong with it". And you would be correct. It had a fight with a 4000 lb automobile and lost. At least that is what I assume happened to it. From the add, it looked like it was mainly a bent lower frame and the cookbox and lid were unharmed. I figured at some point, I would come across a rehab special and need some parts so I grabbed it. Plus, I just wanted to get my hands on one to examine it a bit closer.

Jon T, this review is for you and anyone else that may be interested.

I believe this grill was one of the first years of the Genesis II design (2017). That is good since I was interested in how they would hold up against rust. I am assuming it was purchased in 2017 and after 3 years, I have to say that I found NO rust anywhere on it. I did notice some suspect areas but after a close inspection, I did not find rust. One place of particular interest was the bottom slats that have plastic end caps on them that snap into the frame. I pulled a few of those off the slats and there was no rust, however, there was moisture still in them as I had driving home with the grill in my pickup bed in a snow/rain storm for 3 hours last night. I want to say that it looks like Weber has done a good job rust proofing these new grills, but I hesitate for two reasons. First, the grill is only three years old and I don't know how the grill was sheltered between cooks. It may have been a garage queen as evidenced by the collision damage. Second, the grill didn't look like it has been used more than a half dozen times. I also want to comment that the grill seemed very sturdy overall and it didn't seem like weber skimped on metal thickness. I wonder what the car looks like. hahaha

While it is a parts grill and I did salvage several of the frame parts, the lid, cookbox and manifold. Two of the valve stems on the manifold were slightly bent. They still turn very smoothly but, I will have to check it for leaks if I every wind up using it on a grill. The previous owners snatched the wheels, the electronic igniter module, the knobs, the flavorizer bars and the cooking grates. They even grabbed the propane hose/regulator off of it.

I assume they either bought a new identical grill, or let someone else cannibalize it before they put it out on the curb for me. But, I did get the cook box, the lid, and the burners along with the frame parts. And like I said all in great condition and relatively clean.

So, on to the photos. I didn't take one before I took it all apart, but you can clearly see the fender bender on the right side.
View attachment 2213
This is the bucket of parts that I salvaged. You can also see the cook box. I don't have a photo of the lid, but it was in good shape and is just plain black.
View attachment 2215
Here is the cook box it seems well built although I am pretty sure these are like the 2007 and up E series grills and are a little less thick aluminum than the older models.
You will notice that it looks pretty darn clean for three years of use. The burners are rectangular by the way. I am not sure if that is a better design or not. I don't see an advantage over the classic round ones.
View attachment 2209

Here is a side view of the damaged legs. It was a pretty strong hit, but notice the two cross members. They both basically came out straight. That is what I mean by Weber seemingly using a little more substantial steel than what I expected they would.
View attachment 2216
You can see below where the cross member basically got shoved back and through the leg. Like I said, the cross member basically didn't get damaged though.
View attachment 2217

Anyone know what this wire rack was for? Where does it go. It was laying there with the grill and is in great condition except for the right front flange got bent up a bit.
View attachment 2218

Ok, this is something I took note of. The valves now have this rubber boot on them instead of the gray silicone disks. It reminds me of a ball joint boot. I would consider it an improvement.
View attachment 2219

Bruce,
That is a very interesting up close review. Those square burners are supposed to taper toward the back to better maintain even pressure across their length. Sounds like a good idea, anyway.

I am glad to see you found this open cart version to be holding up pretty well and tough enough to not just disintegrate from being smashed by car. I think some of us classic Genesis fans are sometimes maybe a little hard on Weber’s efforts to compete in today’s world. I personally really like what I see in the open cart Genesis II, especially the Special Edition with 9mm stainless grates. Much better setup than the front control 300 series Genesis grill that preceded it. Get one with a crimson hood and you make a sentimental connection to the Weber redheads of days gone by.
Crimson Weber Genesis II.jpg
I admit that I wish I could have one of these. Maybe in five years I will be able to get a cast-off one and restore it :coolkettle: !

A possibly cool mod would be to take one of these and repaint the gray parts black to look more like the original. Maybe put WOOD in place of those metal bottom slats!!!!:giggle:

Last edited:
Yah, the lower cross members across the front and back are welded to the corner braces. So, if those cross members do start to rust with the legs sitting on them, it could make rehabbing tough.
Oh, yah, the took the left shelf from mine as well.

But, overall, I definitely like these open cart Genesis II's much better than the older Genesis E3xx cabinet grills.

Yah, I was kind of thinking that as well. Three years is a long time to use a grill and never clean it before it is time for a new one. Some times, I think people really feel like the time for a new grill is when the gunk in the cook box collects up to the bottom of the burners.

Of course, you also have the ones that have been entered into the local demotion derby as well.

Its only a matter of time before those start finding their way into the back of my truck.

Yeah, I agree and look forward to that. So far, all I have seen are people trying for $500 range, although I did miss out on one for $200. A couple years from now there will be many more, including some that are filthy and ugly enough to be sold cheaply.

Bruce,
At least you have the start of a parts bin!

Seems also like people are asking big bucks for old wrecks as well. I am seeing lots of ads for grills I KNOW would only bring maybe $50 or so no asking $150 or more. I wonder if they have Rona on the brain thinking people will pay more?

Seems also like people are asking big bucks for old wrecks as well. I am seeing lots of ads for grills I KNOW would only bring maybe $50 or so no asking $150 or more. I wonder if they have Rona on the brain thinking people will pay more?

They just want their share of someone else's stimulus check! :D

Thanks Chris. But until I get another Genesis II E310, I just have a pile of parts waiting around. I figure it might be a while before I find a Genesis II worth rehabbing.

No, LOL. What I am saying is that there likely won't be another Gen II E3xx grill to land on FB MP or CL for under $100 any time soon...Unless of course it has danced with a Toyota recently.
t0sG1c6.jpg

That's probably true, but I think in a couple years there will be ones in the $100 to $200 range that, with some elbow grease and maybe a few of your stashed parts could be flipped for a much higher price since they would still be the current model.

Back