Genesis Gold Kicked to the Curb

G Schafer

TVWBB Pro
IMG_20210421_162843025_HDR.jpg
Drive by this in my neighborhood on my way home. Seems to be in good shape, so I picked it up to give to a co-worker.

Agreed. I never "accidentally" drive by a Weber. Charbroils, yah, Webers no. But aside from the missing left thermoset table, that is a good rehab candidate. That bottom pan is even surprisingly decent looking.

The missing thermoset table is not missing. I threw it in the truck before taking the picture.
There is a shield or something on the underside of the lid that has holes rusted through. It needs a new igniter, but the rest looks surprisingly good. The side burner looks like it's never been used.
The drip tray rail bolts are mostly gone, only one bolt per side.
I think the co-worker will like it!

Gerry

The lid has a liner in it....they tend to rust out and you can rip it out if you want, but then the lid will probably discolor when you get the grill real hot.
Those side burners tend to not get used a lot.
Common for the drip rail screws to corrode. But be warned that they might be tough to get out now without shearing them off.

Yah, no need to remove those bolts. Those rails are in great shape. Just put the other bolts back in. But it would be good to get them out so you can put some neversieze on them so they don't do that again in case you need to remove them down the road.

The missing thermoset table is not missing. I threw it in the truck before taking the picture.
There is a shield or something on the underside of the lid that has holes rusted through. It needs a new igniter, but the rest looks surprisingly good. The side burner looks like it's never been used.
The drip tray rail bolts are mostly gone, only one bolt per side.
I think the co-worker will like it!

Gerry
Good to hear, who wants to hunt down a nuisance part. There are a boatload of deals on these exact genesis golds around NJ lately. Actually another similar one for free 30 mins from me just posted today that IS missing the table. If only I had the room and the time...

Yah, no need to remove those bolts. Those rails are in great shape. Just put the other bolts back in. But it would be good to get them out so you can put some neversieze on them so they don't do that again in case you need to remove them down the road.
Holy Crap! Those two bolts are the only ones that are supposed to hold those rails on! The other bosses on the cookbox just receive tabs that stick up from the rails. I thought six bolts held the rail on and two per rail were sheared off!

Good deal!
Gerry

That could very well be. Some are like that and they just have tabs that go into the outside holes. When I do rehabs, I snip the tabs and put screws in the 4 outside holes. Most of the time those rails get bent down in the middle when only a single bolt is used to hold them on. One of those bean counter ideas at Weber to save two screws and 17 cents per grill.

Here’s my recent gold find.
It’s is super good shape! Stainless Flavorizer in good shape, even the igniter is not even corroded.
Free from a dude on Craigslist, roommate moved out and left his grill

Attachments

• 67322C83-0A93-48CD-9020-0A5F23CFA993.jpeg
    67322C83-0A93-48CD-9020-0A5F23CFA993.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 97F5C1DE-761E-4306-9E12-1D4C83E82363.jpeg
    97F5C1DE-761E-4306-9E12-1D4C83E82363.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 27
I have never seen a grill of any worth while type sitting on a curb for free or even a very low price.
You are very lucky man and a nice grill to boot.

Gerry,

That is one sweet ride! I would love to have just one cool old car. It wouldn't have to be as fantastic as that one, just something that hearkens back to another time. I am glad you are able to keep and enjoy that beauty :cool: . Make sure you let kids check it out so they can see what a sports car was all about before all the electronics and gadgetry.

I agree Jon. I hate the "mid life crisis" cliche, but I would love a '68 Camero. Yah, a vette would be sweeter, but the Camero just has some cool memories for me.

Yeah if I wanted the coolest of the cool IMO for me a 66 GTO. Preferably a 4 spd with the 389 4 barrel. I loved the 3 deuce but too hard to keep up. Another thing I think would be cool.....................car from the year you're born. So a 51 something. Maybe a 51 Merc with a flathead V8 and 3 on the tree

Back