Genesis Bottom Tray

It’s ironic that apparently the only aluminum grease trays were supplied as a cost cutting (?) measure on the early shallow box machines such as my 1993 spirit 700. My aluminum tray still resides there, somewhat dented but functional and uncorroded.

Some aluminum trays I have seen get perforated from hot grease and salts. So although aluminum doesn’t rust it can be corroded to the same demise.

Jon, looking forward to what you find out. If it becomes viable we should gather up the interested people and start a fund to get the project off the ground if the place has enough for a minimum order maybe we can work out a deal. I'm sure they would appreciate that and I know plenty of people on here that would be willing to buy at least one or possibly more.

I brought the piece and my crude template to the shop. The guy said he could definitely do it but would have to work up a quote. He seemed like a good guy. He later commented that the shop was union with rates correspondingly. We will see what that translates into. I did tell him I wanted pricing at several volumes.

I brought the piece and my crude template to the shop. The guy said he could definitely do it but would have to work up a quote. He seemed like a good guy. He later commented that the shop was union with rates correspondingly. We will see what that translates into. I did tell him I wanted pricing at several volumes.
Sweet! Keep us all in the loop!

Like Jon I also have an 02 Silver A and will be interested in hearing what comes of this. I have a few from donors but a solid replacement would be great !

I think two things are getting confused here. Jon is trying to have pieces made to fix the cookbox on his old Summit grill, not replacement Genesis drip trays. We did have a pretty good thread going on that topic last year, but nothing really came from it as far as a viable solution.

Jon, is this latest attempt to get a solution made for a duplicate panel or just for a layer to fasten to the existing ceramic coated panel?

Yah, it probably won't be financially feasible unless the guy can somehow find a way to cut you a break.

Sorry Jon, I hope I am wrong, but to me that means
you better back up the Brinks truck.
Yep, I think he was trying to give me a warning, and my heart kind of sank. He actually did show some real interest when I gave him a brief on the 1st generation Summit. He was very surprised when I told him the front part I brought along was at least 23 years old.

We will see. If it turns out crazy high, I will try looking for a smaller shop.

Yep, I think he was trying to give me a warning, and my heart kind of sank. He actually did show some real interest when I gave him a brief on the 1st generation Summit. He was very surprised when I told him the front part I brought along was at least 23 years old.

We will see. If it turns out crazy high, I will try looking for a smaller shop.
I don't want to get political, but although Union shops are more expensive-- you get what you pay for.

That is usually very true, and I am not at all ruling out that shop. At the same time, to make this work - especially getting others to go in on it - the price has to be tolerable.

Jon, looking forward to what you find out. If it becomes viable we should gather up the interested people and start a fund to get the project off the ground if the place has enough for a minimum order maybe we can work out a deal. I'm sure they would appreciate that and I know plenty of people on here that would be willing to buy at least one or possibly more.
@Gary - bassguitarist1985
@Tony-Chicago

GOOD NEWS!

We have a viable option for STAINLESS REINFORCEMENT OF 1ST GENERATION SUMMIT FRONT PANEL.

Please see my Summit thread for more info:

By absolutely no means do I consider myself an expert metal fabricator, but I think I’ve come up with a solution. I’m currently restoring a genesis platinum 1, and I obviously ran into the same problem. During the restore, I replaced the flavorizer bars. When I got the the bottom tray issue, I tried my hardest to find an aftermarket replacement but it just wasn’t going to look “original”:

I then came up with the idea of taking an old flavorizer bar, hammering it flat, cutting it with a pipe saw and attaching it to the shorter genesis silver bottom tray on either side. It fits perfectly in the existing Z bar bottom tray mounts. It absolutely isn’t pretty or OEM looking, but the additional stainless covers any gap that might have been present, and it’s certainly a snug fit.

If anyone is interested, I can show what I did via posts, but it’s pretty self explanatory and in the “early stages”.

Back