Genesis Bottom Tray

Martin_Holman

Hi all, I've been converting an old Genesis 3000 I believe it's from the 90s. Coming up to the problem of replacing the bottom tray which was ruined.

I purchased a weber one but it is too short, ~17" and it looks like I need ~19.5". This size appears to be out of stock everywhere.

What are y'all doing to replace this part?

I found this which looks like it might do the trick, anyone tried this before?

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpeg
    IMG_0994.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 34
That’s pretty interesting. The first attempt I have seen to address this issue. The large drip tray is quickly becoming the stumbling block for restoring these classic Webers. I would say as long as Wayfair will accept a return it would be worth giving that a try. If you do, please give us an honest review.

The other solution is to try to find a donor grill, but truthfully as old as these are you aren’t highly likely to find a salvageable tray in another discard grill.

That’s pretty interesting. The first attempt I have seen to address this issue. The large drip tray is quickly becoming the stumbling block for restoring these classic Webers. I would say as long as Wayfair will accept a return it would be worth giving that a try. If you do, please give us an honest review.

The other solution is to try to find a donor grill, but truthfully as old as these are you aren’t highly likely to find a salvageable tray in another discard grill.
I agree, that is an interesting possibility. It probably won't last 15-20 years like a ceramic coated one, but it might give you 5-10 more years and the price is reasonable. Is 14" front to back big enough? Would it fit a 1000 as well?

I am quite interested to hear a first hand review of it being used on a Genesis grill.

Here is another one that specifically states that it fits a Spirit 310, so it should fit the Silver B/C grills as well.

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the adjustment slots are open so the wider you pull it apart the more grease that will run out of it. I hope it's just an optical illusion in the picture.
Screenshot_20220621-143813_Chrome.jpg

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the adjustment slots are open so the wider you pull it apart the more grease that will run out of it. I hope it's just an optical illusion in the picture.
View attachment 53514
Looks like a similar item is avail on Amazon and they show a pic with some covers for the open slots.

20220621_125534.jpg

Outdoor Bazaar Replacement Grease Tray Set for BBQ Grill Models from Nexgrill, Dyna Glo, Kenmore, Backyard Grill, BHG, Uniflame and Others (20.00) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09RB9KWV5/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I think they may be the same thing but that the Wayfair ad was incomplete. It's not a perfect solution, but it is at least SOMETHING to keep these cool old grills going. I hope someone will try one and let us know how it works in the real world. I have enough inventory for now, so I am on the sidelines.

Our experience with Wayfair has not been good. Those bad Wayfair experiences have been 100% consistent for every Wayfair order. Product quality is awful. No company can compete with Wayfair in a race to the "quality bottom."

For anything that Wayfair sells: Look at the item and imagine the cheapest possible way it could be made. After that, reduce the weight you imagined by 75% and add manufacturing defects - bent parts, burrs, penetrating welds, alignment failures, unthreaded machine screw holes, etc.

Our most recent order from Wayfair was a decorative plant support arch for the yard. According to Wayfair, it weighed nearly 50 pounds, which seemed much more substantial than typical Wayfair products. I let my partner convince me that we should order one, against my better judgement. When it arrived, it weighed less than 20 pounds. The Wayfair website lied. Assembly took twice as long as it should, because I had to perform basic repairs and manufacturing cleanup to make it go together.

We have bought several things from Wayfair, and all of them have matched that same pattern. Imagine the cheapest, lowest possible quality you can, then cut quality by another 90%. After this recent purchase, I decided never to buy from Wayfair (again, sigh). I have done that before. Somehow my partner manages to talk me into ordering something else.

-> You have been warned.

I'm thinking about it. If I get one I will probably paint the outside of it to make it blend in better and try and use a factory hanging grease pan with it.
I am as well. If it dont work, eith amazon can return it no worries. There was another thread where someone was working on reproducing the larger tray. No update since last year though :-(

Unfortunately, these kind of projects usually run into the roadblocks of lack of time, unexpectedly high cost, or lack of availability of support to get the fabrication done. I am pursuing a similar one for my Summit, and right now I see it as uphill all the way.

Unfortunately, these kind of projects usually run into the roadblocks of lack of time, unexpectedly high cost, or lack of availability of support to get the fabrication done. I am pursuing a similar one for my Summit, and right now I see it as uphill all the way.
You almost need to know someone that does that kind of work to get what you want made. It's unfortunate, but it's hard now to get any sort of shop to make you something these days.

Yep, I think most shops that do metal work, prefer to do larger commercial projects for financial reasons. Doing one-off small custom projects for private parties either doesn't bring in enough revenue or they have to charge too much to make them worth while to tie up a worker on the project.
"you have to know someone".

I hope to find out more soon. I found a sheet metal shop that at least said they could/would do my Summit fix project. I had emailed him some pictures, so now he asked me to bring the template (I will bring the actual front, too) so he could give me an estimate. Hopefully not in the stratosphere🙏.

One very small, good thing about all the bad economic news. If things slow down, it will be easier to get places to take on projects like this.

I may also bring the bottom from a 300 series Genesis to see what he would charge to replicate what my friend did in Florida a few years ago before he sold out and retired.

Back