Genesis 5000 Finished And Sold

Ralph Meyer

TVWBB Fan
I've had this grill for months and months, finally getting it done-almost. Think someone built it earlier from a couple of grills, as the serial number identifies as a Canadian 3400 platinum model and it doesn't have the flame check that I think the 5000 would have. Decided to offer in either natural ($500) or Durawood ($450).

Not sure I want to mess around with another 5000, too much futzing around with body panels and glass doors. Those panels love to rattle in a good breeze.

IMG_20200618_143446.jpg

IMG_20200618_143318.jpg

IMG_20200619_095059.jpg

IMG_20200619_095205.jpg

IMG_20200619_095145.jpg

IMG_20200619_095119.jpg

IMG_20200618_143220.jpg

Last edited:
Another beautiful piece of work Ralph!

Though whenever I see a 5000, I can't help but to expect there to be a Techinics turntable under the sideburner lid, and a Marantz receiver, Nakamichi cassette deck, a bunch of vinyl and a discwasher kit behind the glass doors. ;)

Though whenever I see a 5000, I can't help but to expect there to be a Techinics turntable under the sideburner lid, and a Marantz receiver, Nakamichi cassette deck, a bunch of vinyl and a discwasher kit behind the glass doors. ;)
Wonder how many of the young folks are going to Google "Discwasher Kit" to find out what that is. I have not thought about using one of those in years.

Me, too! I had a Technics turntable in college as well...would have loved to have had your Marants receiver and Nakamichi deck. The 5000 looks like an extended version of my stereo cabinet from way back then :coolkettle: . Good thing that grill is so far from me or I might be scheming a way to get it!

Me, too! I had a Technics turntable in college as well...would have loved to have had your Marants receiver and Nakamichi deck. The 5000 looks like an extended version of my stereo cabinet from way back then :coolkettle: . Good thing that grill is so far from me or I might be scheming a way to get it!
Heck, I couldn't afford it; I had the super cheap JVC crap. I always drooled over the good stuff. I think a Nakamichi Dragon was a few months rent back then IIRC. I just looked on eBay. There's several for sale for $2,000-$2,500.😳

Crazy how those never show up.... yet Jon Snow is building one on fb, I finished my genesis V a few weeks back and another one pops

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_162926.jpg
    IMG_20200604_162926.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 51
We'll see how much interest there is in it. Really the doors and panels are just a PITA, but I guess someone wanted them or they wouldn't have made them. Too bad it's not really something I'd want to keep around, and I don't even have a gasser around anymore.

That is the problem with specialty grills. The market is not as big. But, all it takes is one person that thinks it is worth it. Did you get full price?

I have never had a realistic chance at one.
I had a shot last year at one, but with a 3 hour drive involved the asking price of $150 to much for me. Not sad that I passed on the deal. Another popped up a couple mos ago. Once again, 3 hours away. I never bothered to reply to the ad.

Yah, might be an interesting project, but for rehab and flip purposes, it is a big gamble due to the unique parts.

Back