Genesis 330 Burner Issue

Scott Hul

Hello all. I recently trashed picked a Genesis S-330 that is in quite good shape. However, I am having a burner issue that I can't seem to solve. As you can see in the pictures, the left most burner and sear station burner are producing much larger yellow flames as compared to the other two burners (center and right). I've dug around the forum and have tried the following with little to no success:
  • Took out each burner and emptied and scrubbed them. Cleaned all spider screens on the burners
  • Reset propane regulator
I don't think it is a burner issue, as I moved the right burner (which appears to be working correctly) to the left burner location and the same symptom occurred, with the same large yellow flames. The burners don't appear to have an cracks or blockage. I am not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts on what I can try next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Burners4.jpg
    Burners4.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 18
  • Burners3.jpg
    Burners3.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Burners2.jpg
    Burners2.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Burners1.jpg
    Burners1.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 18
This looks like one for our friend Larry to weigh in on. I don’t get the variance between the burners, but they all look suspect to me. Is there any possibility this is a grill someone did a botched LP/NG conversion on?

Yah, looks like maybe a problem in the manifold or valves to me. I don't have an easy answer. Hopefully someone does. Otherwise, swapping valves might shed some light on the problem.

Looks like a NG grill being run on LP to me or maybe someone did a hill billy on it and hogged out the jets for "more searing". Sadly being a used grill you really don't know the history. But that is classic too much gas

You will have to consider the regulator as well. Especially if it looks like it was replaced at some point.
I bought one to convert my Q200 to a 20lb LP tank and it turned it from an anemic 400 degree max grill to burying the needle. I rather liked it that way until I left it on overnight and the grill litterally melted the mounts in the plastic handles. So, I took it off and tossed the grill. I just put it on rehabbed Genesis Silver B and it will take it from 0 to 550 (Max0 and climbing fast in about three minutes. With all three burners on medium, it is still climbing after 550 max on the thermometer. But the regulator is sold as a grill replacement regulator and hose.
Despite it being sold as a replacement for BBQ grills, Larry is right that doesn't always mean it is what you want on your grill. The reviews did show some others noting the significant jump in "performance".

You will have to consider the regulator as well. Especially if it looks like it was replaced at some point.
I bought one to convert my Q200 to a 20lb LP tank and it turned it from an anemic 400 degree max grill to burying the needle. I rather liked it that way until I left it on overnight and the grill litterally melted the mounts in the plastic handles. So, I took it off and tossed the grill. I just put it on rehabbed Genesis Silver B and it will take it from 0 to 550 (Max0 and climbing fast in about three minutes. With all three burners on medium, it is still climbing after 550 max on the thermometer. But the regulator is sold as a grill replacement regulator and hose.
Despite it being sold as a replacement for BBQ grills, Larry is right that doesn't always mean it is what you want on your grill. The reviews did show some others noting the significant jump in "performance".
Bruce you have mentioned that regulator a few times. Is there a link for it? Sounds like it could come in handy.
Joe

Here it is, but buyer beware. It does mention it is for grills, but it is also listed as low pressure, but 1 psi, which Larry and others say it toooo high for standard grills.

It is also a bit concerning as I think I put that same regulator on a couple rehab grills that I did 3-4 years ago.
The thing is, I bet many of them are completely happy with how well their grill heats up and sears steaks without knowing that their grill has a turbo on it.
-------------------
Here is the response to a question on the Home Depot listing straight from Gas One:
April 29, 2020
Hello,

Gas One Propane Regulator is compatible with most propane appliances that use 5lb or larger propane tank and as long as your two-burner gas grill accepts 3/8 flare fitting it will be compatible.

Thank you for your interest.

-Gas One

Here is one review on it:
It was terrible. It didn’t regulate at all. My grill went to 900 degrees. It was useless. I had to by a replacement from Weber which corrected the problem immediately
by HomeDepotCustomer

Just FYI, this is probably a much better alternative that should give you normal operation and be much safer for the average joe.

Last edited:
That regulator is over 2x more flow than a standard 11wc one. It may be nice to have that on a little Q reserved for searing steaks or equipped with a griddle. Maybe that is how your Broilmaster hit 800°! 😈

no, I never put it on a broilmaster. But, yah, since I tested it on a Q and a silver b and both rocketed up to and past max on the lid thermometers, I know it was the regulator even though it advertises it as "Low Pressure".

Hey Guys, thanks for the advice. I believe the grill started as an LP grill (see photo of the sticker inside the cabinet). I also took a look at the regulator and the model numbers on my hose match up with what I am seeing on the genuine Weber regulator on amazon (see attached pictures). For kicks, I tried another regulator from another grill and didn't have see a change; I still have the monstrous flames.

At this point, I am wondering if my problem is related to the manifold. I took a few pictures of the valves of the manifold; they appear to be clear, but I am not sure exactly what I would be looking for. Is this something that can be cleaned? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here and should just buy a replacement like this: https://www.thebbqdepot.com/weber-genesis-330-propane-manifold-62762/

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Grill Label.jpg
    Grill Label.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Regulator 1.jpg
    Regulator 1.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Regulator 2.jpg
    Regulator 2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Valve 1.jpg
    Valve 1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Valve 2.jpg
    Valve 2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 20
To my eye those do not appear to be LP orifices. They appear to have been "hogged" out. Either in a foolish attempt to unsafely increase heat output or possibly in a botched conversion. IN any case you have your issue there

In the valve 2 pic the hole looks bigger to me than the valve 1 pic. I would remove all of the orifices and compare them.

Back