Genesis 310 NG to LPG conversion issue

Dan Torres

First, I know that Weber does not support or endorse fuel conversions, though this seems pretty straightforward. I tried to search this site for relevant threads first. I also addressed the safety lockout feature in the regulator and that didn’t fix. So I’m getting a nice clean blue flame on all burners, however they are very small. Also when I turn the control knob on any of the burners there is no change to the flame size whatsoever. Any thoughts on this and maybe next steps? Thanks, Dan

Bottom line is that LP and NG manifolds are different in orifices AND valves.

Can’t swap one and not the other.

At that point it’s really just basically swapping the entire manifold itself.

Can’t “convert” them any other way.

Welcome Dan !

The Genesis 3xx grills have different valves and to get the grill to work properly you need to replace the NG valves with LPG valves or replace the manifold which will include new valves.

I went through this a while ago. When I finally got my hands on a set of LP valves I did a close comparison in this thread.

Also, I suggest mounting the propane tank on the outside for a few reasons:
1. you don't have to drill a hole in the floor
2. your NG E310 doesn't have a heat shield on the slide out drip pan
3. you don't lose all that storage space inside
4. it looks cool with a tank cover

I just remembered there are E310s with the controls on the side.

I think the guidance is the same which is replace the valves or the manifold.

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves talking about replacing manifolds. It seems the problem is low flames. Provided the OP did indeed address the regulator safely valve issue correctly, I would next try a new tank. I hooked up one of my rehabs last week and could get zero gas flow. I disconnected it and reconnected and had the same problem. I grabbed another tank and hooked it up and all was good. I have no idea what the problem was. I have had other grills on the first tank and had zero problems.

After that, I would consider a problem with the regulator. If you have another hose/regulator handy, just swapping them would be a good test. After that, then maybe it is time to start looking at manifolds and valves and orifices.

I would next try a new tank. I hooked up one of my rehabs last week and could get zero gas flow. I disconnected it and reconnected and had the same problem. I grabbed another tank and hooked it up and all was good. I have no idea what the problem was. I have had other grills on the first tank and had zero problems.
Funny that you say this, exact same thing happened to me a week or two ago.

I rolled out a Silver B into my driveway for sale as someone was on their way to pick it up. I decided, on a whim, to check the burners again. Would not light. At all.

I started panicking. The guy would arrive in like 5 mins. Wouldn’t light. Wouldn’t light. Wouldn’t light.

I grabbed another tank. Lit up immediately.

I tried the first tank on another grill, lit up immediately.

Now I know this “can” and “does” happen.

Low flames and "they don't change". Again, OP the ONLY safe way to do this is a manifold swap and the proper LP regulator and line. Going from NG to LP is actually harder to do correctly than the other way. I know how to do the other way without swapping a manifold. But, it's complicated and not meant for public consumption.
So find yourself a manifold, a proper regulator and fittings.

Back