Genesis 1000 vs silver B

Rob_S

From a cooking and cleaning stand point are there any advantages to either. The deeper cook box and the added flavorizer bars?

A Silver is probably a little easier to clean with less bars and shallower firebox. As others have mentioned, I think more grease winds up pouring into your tray, however.

I am kind of a sentimentalist and feel that the original 13-bar design was the way the pioneers at Weber designed it, while the 5-bar seems like a cost-cutting exercise the bean counters (takes one to know one😏) pushed over.

My choice for cooking would be a 1000.

Best advice is to pick one and learn how it cooks. If I had to pick, I would say an 80s or 90s Genesis. The Gennys of that era are a thing of beauty.

I think it is safe to say that one is not overwhelmingly better than the other, at the outset. You can do what a lot of people do and buy one of each and then pick the one you like the best. You really can't go wrong either way. It's kind of like asking which is the better team, the ######s or the *******s. They each have their fan base.

The early Gennys are a thing of beauty, though, nobody will deny that.

what round are we up to now on the x000 vs silver b? Look what you started Rob.
I personally like the x000. Like redheads with durawood slats.

Most would agree that the Genesis 1000 is a superior grill for rotisserie cooking as well.

And most would agree that team ##### is better at offense than team *****...c'mon, Mr. Bruce, most statistics are made up on the spot.

You wanna get a poll going? Let's do dis.

Ed, sure, start up a thread that asks for preferences. But someone will have to follow it and keep track of the responses.

I know some forums have a built in "poll" feature that makes it real easy to create polls and it tracks responses for you. The problem I see is that the thread will simply turn into yet another Silver B Vs 1000 thread. But, yah, go ahead. You know my vote.

Oh, heck, then I realize we do have a poll feature. Cool. I got this.

Ok, Mr. Bruce, bring it! But we also need to get a poll going for best color.

No, I think you used ezackly the right terms. We're gonna take a poll and see.

My real issue is I have a 2003 silver B (black) that I've pretty much torn apart, bought new burner tubes for, plus rcplnebuyer bars. Then I aquired a 1996 1000 red head that was convertered from LP to NG. Thought I would be able to use the burners and manifold from the silver, but after reading its more complicated. Just trying to figure out which to rehab. I like the wood and red lid and the option of adding a side burner, but its more work and more money. I already have 3 kettles, a performer (main cooker) and a WSM. Plus a wok burner and 36in blackstone.

Having owned and used both side by side as "daily drivers" for a while I have to give the nod to the deep box. Re, cleaning other than having to reach a little farther into it? MEH. Advantage neither. Cooking ability? Both "grill" equally well. But IMHO the deeper box is slightly easier to control for the longer slower BBQ style cook. Advantage? Deep box.
For Rotisserie, here again I call advantage to the deep because it has more room for the slightly larger things you may cook (a turkey "yuk", capon YUM, larger roast beef YUUUUUM)
So overall both are really good BUT the advantage tips to the deep box

Rob, the lid on the Genesis 1000 is swappable to the Silver B and vice versa.
I messed around with it the other day and the red lid is a little too tight of a fit where the pins go inon the silver B cookbox?? The handle brackets are different also, grey plastic (blk/B)and the wood on the red (1K). I assume I could take the end caps off and just switch the porcelain portions. The wood handle looked funny with the plastic tables. The blck/B lid has the permanent studs and speed nuts/ thread cutting nuts. So those are a pain. Not sure what I'm gonna do. Picked up a 2006 preformer today and a smokey Joe last night. Weberitis sucks.hehe

Back