Riddle me this on this grill

JohnS NJ

TVWBB Fan
Picked this freebee up to what I thought was a Genny 1 given no wheels on the left legs. Picked it up and ran the serial number - genny 1000. Thought maybe they just switch the panel but still is a gen 1. So how does anyone explain how they got a silver B box in the frame??? that box should be a 13 bar - not a 5.

Attachments

• BB5CDDF1-64CE-4721-943A-78627625E4BA.jpeg
    BB5CDDF1-64CE-4721-943A-78627625E4BA.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 49
  • F9A35DCC-5097-4C6A-AE12-E17FFFBDDB72.jpeg
    F9A35DCC-5097-4C6A-AE12-E17FFFBDDB72.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 2BDA32AF-3796-4FDD-920E-5625E2F8B51B.jpeg
    2BDA32AF-3796-4FDD-920E-5625E2F8B51B.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 50
The frame has been modified. Looks like it's been shortened in the area where the frame rails bolt together and then tack-welded, and a single cross bar added at the bottom.

A Frankengrill! I give credit for whoever did all that to at least make something that works.

I wish I could see that grill up close because I intend to try to figure out a way to shoe horn a 13 bar fire box onto my SS Platinum C frame.

I wish I could see that grill up close because I intend to try to figure out a way to shoe horn a 13 bar fire box onto my SS Platinum C frame.
It's very doable, I think, but why?

I'd like to kick that topic around sometime.

The 13 bar fire box is more versatile and IMO has better performance due to its deeper design and two rows of flavorizer bars.

Lower heat available (35k BTU vs 48k for 5-bar), more mass to heat means slower heat up/cool down, burners/FBs are closer to the grate for searing/grilling on the 5-bar, and the 5-bar allows for a bigger swing on the roti with the FBs removed. The lid is the limiting factor on both, though, so it's a moot point. More FBs means more $$$ to replace on the 13-bar.

Last edited:
The slower cool down is actually a benefit IMO. It keeps the internal temp more constant. You can remove the top row of flavorizer bars on the 13 bar grills and still have 5 covering the burners and distributing heat. They also provide a nice support for things like drip trays and water pans. If I took all the bars out, it would be even a bigger clearance, but like you said, the lid height is more limiting. Plus, I use a V shaped smoker box that sits between the front two bars. My grill gets plenty hot for Searing or any other type of cooking I plan to do regardless of the distance of the grates from the burners or the BTU's put out per burner. The real benefit though is a more even cook with the great distance and cross hatched flavorizer bars.

Those points you mention all tend to favor baking and roasting and not so much grilling and rotisserizing. For grilling it is an advantage to have hotter and cooler zones, although the warming rack can help in that area if you have one, and with rotis it's fairly common to take the FBs out and cook indirectly off the front and rear burners for evenness of cooking.

What attracts you to the Platinum C frame? Is it the tables?

I have the Stainless steel framed Platinum from the mid 2000's. That is what I like about it. Once I get the rusted out cabinet floor and sides off of it, it and get the rest of the grill redone, it will be virtually bullet proof. Plus, my son just moved back and is working at a sign shop as a fabricator. So I am hoping to finagle a new floor of either stainless or aluminum and hopefully sides as well.

Picked this freebee up to what I thought was a Genny 1 given no wheels on the left legs. Picked it up and ran the serial number - genny 1000. Thought maybe they just switch the panel but still is a gen 1. So how does anyone explain how they got a silver B box in the frame??? that box should be a 13 bar - not a 5.
I saw that one, but couldn't find the time to go get it. If you want a 13-bar box -- or anything else off of a redhead 1000, let me know.

I think Chris could help out here but I seem to recall there was an early Genesis that was in the age range of the 1, 2, 3, etc BUT was slightly lower priced, had the same dimensions on the fire box but did not have 13 bars and also had lower heat output. It was an odd duck though and not sold for long

I would like to see more pictures of the entire grill. I don't think you have a 1000, nor a B.
I believe that is either a Spirit 700 or 900. If he has/had wooden slats on the side it is a 900.
If it a cheapy plastic shelf it is a 700.

900 - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/188838/Weber-900-Lp.html

700- https://manualzz.com/doc/2110572/weber-700-gas-grill-user-manual

Nice, Dave! I never knew there was such a thing. I think it's more likely the 700 because it has the stub axles.

I would like to see more pictures of the entire grill. I don't think you have a 1000, nor a B.
I believe that is either a Spirit 700 or 900. If he has/had wooden slats on the side it is a 900.
If it a cheapy plastic shelf it is a 700.

900 - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/188838/Weber-900-Lp.html

700- https://manualzz.com/doc/2110572/weber-700-gas-grill-user-manual
You might be right that it’s a 900. I ran the serial number and it shows as a 1000 lx. The bottom tray is aluminum. I’ll snap some more pics when I get home.

Jeff did a nice job on a Spirit 700 and yes it was their first foray I believe into 5 bar grills. Lower price point.

Lower heat available (35k BTU vs 48k for 5-bar), more mass to heat means slower heat up/cool down, burners/FBs are closer to the grate for searing/grilling on the 5-bar, and the 5-bar allows for a bigger swing on the roti with the FBs removed. The lid is the limiting factor on both, though, so it's a moot point. More FBs means more $$$ to replace on the 13-bar.
In 2003 I we had a house with an upper and lower deck so I picked up a new silver B 5 bar and put it on the upper deck and put my Genesis 1000 13 bar on the lower deck.
The genesis was much more consistent in heat distribution, no hot spots or cold zones. Flare ups were very rare. Heat up time there was very little difference and the genesis could get as hot as you would ever need it and still does..
The silver had very uneven heating and anything with fat such as skin on chicken, 80/20 hamburger Etc. It was flare up city. I kept a spry bottle full of water next to it when I was cooking. After a season I sold it and just made the trip up and down the stairs to the genesis.

Rich, that is pretty much the consensus feeling on the difference between the Silver B and the Genesis 1000 models. Sure, you can find a poorly performing B or 1000, but it is generally a cleaning issue or parts failure that is easily corrected. I think most would agree that a fully functional 1000 is superior in most aspects of grilling and cooking than a Silver B. But, I don't want to knock the Silver B owners either. The difference isn't huge in most aspects and when you take price and availability of parts into account, the Silver B is clearly better in that regard.

Rich, that is pretty much the consensus feeling on the difference between the Silver B and the Genesis 1000 models. Sure, you can find a poorly performing B or 1000, but it is generally a cleaning issue or parts failure that is easily corrected. I think most would agree that a fully functional 1000 is superior in most aspects of grilling and cooking than a Silver B. But, I don't want to knock the Silver B owners either. The difference isn't huge in most aspects and when you take price and availability of parts into account, the Silver B is clearly better in that regard.
I have had both a 1000 that I gave to my daughter and have had a Silver C for a few years which I love and I loved the 1000 by the way.

To me I like the Silver C better, it heats up much faster, gets to a higher temp if you want to go there the 1000 pretty well cruised at 550 on the top end the Silver C will cruise to 600. The Silver will put a better sear on a steak than the 1000 would. I have never had a grease fire but no question in my mind is the C needs to be cleaned more often there is more grease that works its way down to the small grease tray than the 1000 did no surprise there grease working its way through 13 bars as opposed to 5. I really don't think you can go wrong either way, obviously and my bars are getting near the end a lot cheaper to replace them.

To me it depends on your cooking habits and needs, I don't do rotis to cheap to buy them done at Kroger. We do quality frozen burgers from Kroger usually 85 content my wife is a health junky to a degree, steaks are rib eyes or filet's but we aren't using that grill more than twice a week and now I got another daughter home so we are only cooking for 3. If I was doing burgers for a large gathering I would think the 1000 would shine there flare up wise but we don't. I have a performer and a smoker also so wings are done on the performer and ribs on the smoker.

I know this is a tender subject for some, so I won't delve too deeply...but to me, the GrillGrates are the Great Equalizer here. The "flavorizing" surface is right below the cooking surface so the effect is intensified, the searing capabilities are well beyond what I would ever need, and any flareups are kept well away from the cooking surface.

All I am saying is that the gain to be had is not worth the effort it will take to install a 13-bar cookbox in a 5-bar frame, from what I could see from my own limited view. I would love to do it, but what is the outcome? A Frankengrill. I completely understand Bruce's desire for a bullet-proof SS frame for his 13-bar now, and that has broadened my view. My motivation was to have a 13-bar in a Silver frame because the thermoset tables are much more practical and I love the enclosed cabinet in my Silver, hardly a strong enough motivation to do the modifications necessary. I think Bruce's motivation, having a rust-resistant grill in a more extreme environment, is much more of an imperative than a whim for thermoset tables and enclosed cabinetry.

Without question, the Genesis series is by leaps and bounds, far and away, the most beautiful. The Silver is the more practical. I have both and I am happy. I can't bring myself to try to have the best of both worlds in one grill.

I roti'ed a rib roast on the BGE this weekend. You want to talk about a long cool down? From 400F to ambient, about 10-12 hrs. with no air leaks. I use a HeaterMeter (shoutout to Bryan!) for precise temp control, and I really, really hate to say this, but we are getting used to the "clean" taste of a gasser after 30+ years of coal burners.

Last edited:

Back