Genesis 1000 Porcelain Drip Tray

This is pretty interesting. I am trying to understand why Bruce’s picture shows such a huge difference vs DanHoo showings it pretty much working. I didn’t think the “sidewinder” tray was any different from the later front control models, but maybe not. I need to dig through some of my parts and see what I can come up with.

On some of the front burner grills the brackets for the pan is attached to the the frame not the firebox hence the pan size difference

I think I see a way this could work. As long as the tray will fit between the z-bar screws, think about a strip of 18 or 20ga. stainless steel (or aluminum) folded not in a z-shape, but folded over on itself like a C. The tray would slide between the legs of the C, or if unequal length legs, supported by the lower leg. You might even be able to bend it up at home. You might be able to cut up one of those aluminum pans to see if the idea has merit.

Last edited:
I definitely think this is doable. Wouldn't even need to be a "C section" (groan) or a z-bar but could be an aluminum strip with a spacer.

What would be the best way to preserve an existing 1000 drip tray? Mine's rusting around the edges but still serviceable. Any suggestions for treatments to ensure it remains that way?

Some people line them with aluminum foil. But, you will have to change that out fairly often or it may wind up being worse for the tray in the long run. Besides, it sounds like the worse of the problems on yours are on the edges and aluminum foil won't work there. You can try to remove most of the rust and then hit it will some rust treatment and then some High Heat Ultra Rustoleum paint. That will help.

In the mean time. Keep your eyes out for a curb alert Genesis 1000 and grab it for a parts grill. Hopefully the pan will be in decent shape and when you current one finally gives up, you have a replacement.

Brento,
I think the best you can do is treat with a rust remover and touch up with ulra high heat paint. I am personally OK with some small touch ups on the edges of the tray, but be sure to do long hot burnoff to make sure you don't have fumes entering your firebox when you cook. These trays are becoming the Achilles heal of restoring the old Genesis grills. I hope some manufacturer will get on board with making replacements.

@DanHoo , I'm going to bump this back up because I think it is extremely important...we may have a viable alternative for a part that is no longer available. Did this ever go any further?

@Ed Pinnell I've not done anything on any of my grills in the past month. ( edit, other than cook ).

I think the bottom pan / tray from my 2016 E330 will work in a 1000 firebox, however the one firebox I have is still not releasing the bolts on the bottom and I haven't had much time to fight with it.

There is a 1000 near me that the seller has not sold for over a month so I think I'll ping them again with my $25 offer and see if they take it, then I can give a better answer.

I'm not in need of one at the moment, but it looks like they might be going OOS if Weber is the only place that has them. It looks like, from your earlier pictures, that the tray fits between the screws, so if the pan were to be too wide E-W then getting creative with a new set of Z-Bars (possibly buy a set for a Silver and slot the holes to move them further outboard) or an aluminum strip with spacers and longer screws could possibly be an option. But the threat of them going NLA kind of throws a damper on things. Somebody in need of a grease tray for the G1000-5000 series ought to try it, though

Okay, I dropped the firebox for my 3000 restore project into the unfinished frame. Inserted the drip tray from my S330 and it fits fine. I had to bend the brackets on an old drip pan hanger to get it to hang properly in the hole because the heat shield was in the way. The drip pan is offset to the left, but if that doesn't bother you it will work. You could also paint the heat shield as it is not stainless or drill out the rivets and remove it.

drip tray 1.jpg

They are typically welded on with weak pressure welds and often times fall off which might have happened to yours. I am not sure if Weber made them without the heat shield.

They are typically welded on with weak pressure welds and often times fall off which might have happened to yours. I am not sure if Weber made them without the heat shield.
I am pretty sure the heat shields are riveted on. Just cutting a notch out to fit the grease pan holder should be fine. Very nice work.

Back