Genesis 1000 Porcelain Drip Tray

Tim: I agree, for the price, they are DEFINITELY not worth it. The holes have no function. I think maybe they were used by Weber when hanging them to coat them with the porcelain.

Weber actually made some of their drip pans out of aluminum. It would work better than regular steel for sure, but it would have to be a bit thicker than steel. That is going to drive the price up as well.

Here is a Silver B that I just did and it has an Aluminum pan in it. I still have the grill if you need any other pictures, but it is essentially identical to the black porcelain coated steel ones aside from being made of aluminum.

20210711 Silver B Green Head Black Out 2 (6).JPG20210711 Silver B Green Head Black Out 2 (12).JPG

Tim: I agree, for the price, they are DEFINITELY not worth it. The holes have no function. I think maybe they were used by Weber when hanging them to coat them with the porcelain.

Weber actually made some of their drip pans out of aluminum. It would work better than regular steel for sure, but it would have to be a bit thicker than steel. That is going to drive the price up as well.

Here is a Silver B that I just did and it has an Aluminum pan in it. I still have the grill if you need any other pictures, but it is essentially identical to the black porcelain coated steel ones aside from being made of aluminum.

View attachment 34536View attachment 34537

Aluminum might be more cost effective than stainless. I'm thinking the holes were for finishing and indexing during manufacture. I have a good buddy in sheet metal fabrication, I'll run this past him. If I need a donor tray does someone have a junk one they can send me? Compensation will be a new tray if they are eventually made.

Tim, I Have a bunch of trays I could send you. Let me know if you take it to the next step and need a prototype to work off of.

Tim, I Have a bunch of trays I could send you. Let me know if you take it to the next step and need a prototype to work off of.
Thanks Bruce, I'll take the photos and measurements to my friend and see what he thinks. Then go from there. They have a CNC cutter and do some really sophisticated industrial stuff. Might not be worth his time, but we'll see.

Joe, that link is better. But I see some serious flaws. First, those are simply painted carbon steel. I would not expect them to last all that long. Second, they are nearly $100 with shipping. If the guy made them out of stainless, he would have something there, but I still think the price is too high to be able to sell too many..

Regarding Tim's comment. I don't think they "look" all that bad. Besides, it is not a showcase piece like a side table or lid end cap. For something like that, I would just want something functional. But, like I said, I don't think they are going to meet the durability test.
I agree 100%. I just posted to give an example of what is out there and size.

I would be skeptical of the eBay tray for the reasons already noted. If it looked that way but was stainless I would be OK with it. That price would be really, really hard to recover in a flip grill. For a personal keeper a stainless drip tray would be worth it to me.

I am very interested to see the back and forth on this. Maybe Tim's friend could get a cottage industry going! It is probably going to be the biggest issue in restoring these grills in the next few years.

Already emailed my friend. 3 piece cut. Vertical tabs on the end pieces for the corners, Horizontal tab on the bottom piece to join the ends to the bottom of the front and back sides, spot welded together. Apparently not much difference in price between aluminum and stainless. He says it will be expensive, even with my slave labor helping out.

Oh well. I kind of figured as much. There is a reason no one else has jumped in to fill this niche. The cost to produce vs. the market value and number of potential customers unfortunately just doesn't add up.

I just finished cleaning this one up. It has some rot all along the edges. I guess I should be happy there is only one hole in the bottom!? Have any of you reused a worse one?16287255008032539940070577315421.jpg16287255739223011187776937863452.jpg

I have rescued several worse than that. However, they wind up in the scrap heap. You can certainly use that one. Just line it with some aluminum foil. But for a flip grill, that wouldn't cut it.

I may spend some more time on it after I'm done with everything else. It will do for the time being. In the mean time I will keep looking for a new one like everyone else!

I have been pondering the steam table pan for awhile too. Could be a cob job one could be proud of. If the dimensions of the old OEM tray are 19-5/8 x 13-3/4, I think it could be made to work? Depth can vary, but the restaurant pans are 20.75 x 12.75. Think there is enough overlap/excess to cut away and slide into the rails while still catching the grease?
View attachment 34532

I like this idea. One thing to consider is the grease pooling up in a flatter surface. What is the thickest gauge steam table pan?

I like this idea. One thing to consider is the grease pooling up in a flatter surface. What is the thickest gauge steam table pan?
I think that the easiest solution may be fabricating brackets that are wider to accommodate part # 99250 that is still available. The overall size is smaller, but I believe still large enough to cover the opening of the older genesis firebox. I think we all know who could make such a bracket.

I will have to check that out, hopefully tomorrow if I remember.
But, moving the mounting holes for the slide rails seems to be the gotcha in the whole thing. I just don't know how you would do that without serious modding.

Back