Genesis 1000 lid end cap question

I totally understand not feeling the need to completely take the inside of the lid down to nice shiny enamel for a personal grill. Buyers of flip grills love it however. I actually use those balls of SS household steel wool on the insides of my rehab lids after starting with the razor blades. I have yet to damage one that way. It really is durable stuff.

@Jon Tofte has reproduction tank gauge stickers should you want them.
Thank you Dan.

My comments and photos are just to express what might be an alternate viewpoint.

I respect all who put in the effort to maintain their tools.

Not to dig myself in deeper, but I contemplated buying a new set of bbq tools, and actually ordered some from Amazon, but as fate would have it they were lost in shipping and as I was cleaning my existing spatula it occurred to my - why replace something that isn’t broken.

Here is another photo just taken of my Aldi bbq tools that are a little long in the tooth but still functioning well.
735E4B5D-762D-4232-BDB9-312D5CAA592C.jpeg
They fit nicely with the ragged fuel gauge sticker.

Grill “Feng Shui” if you will.

Hopefully you get I have an unusual sense of humor.

Someone is trying to make me feel guilty. My tools are a bunch of mismatched ones that I have acquired in buying rehab grills. That and the fact that they are spread all over the place, between laying on my grill bottom shelf, tool hangers, side shelves, the kitchen and probably various places in my garage.
A Feng Shui dude would have a heart attack around my grill.

Thank you Dan.

My comments and photos are just to express what might be an alternate viewpoint.

There are no wrong viewpoints. For personal keeper grills, the amount of work and "perfection" is up to the owner. I have a mishmash of nice looking and some not so nice. I'll be honest, I spray painted over grease of my genesis 1000 / silver B because it looked horrible and I knew it would be temporary until I restore my Genesis 3.

It started off like this:
1660836507089.png

and 15 mins later with a quick dose of spray paint and a lid swap it looked like this:

If one looks closely you can see the drip marks on the front. I'll strip it down eventually and do it right.... ( ok, maybe )

1660836378733.png

I totally understand not feeling the need to completely take the inside of the lid down to nice shiny enamel for a personal grill. Buyers of flip grills love it however. I actually use those balls of SS household steel wool on the insides of my rehab lids after starting with the razor blades. I have yet to damage one that way. It really is durable stuff.
It is amazing to me how the porcelain enamel could be made that well in the first place. I never used a cover on this grill and it’s been outside exposed to four Northeast seasons for almost 30 years and still looks good and works as intended- outstanding quality.

And the powder coating on the steel- I was hitting that aggressively with a wire wheel and wasn’t even getting down to the steel in areas that were not rusting underneath.

That’s hard to find these days.

Keep fighting the good fight.

I don’t even know what Feng Shui is.

It was just a joke, lol.

But I am grilling tonight and am going to turn the grill 90 degrees counter clockwise to face due South and see how it goes.

Inquiring minds want to know…

For Feng Shui grilling, Is the lid supposed to open to the north?
Not always, it depends on what is being grilled and the age of the griller. My Genesis opens toward the west, Overperformer opens ESE, WSM also west.
And lids do get a good steel wool/ Windex polishing a couple of times a year. Insides? Not so much, since they are all daily drivers, I simply do not see the need for UBER fastidious maintenance.

Daily drivers are for USING! Just need to keep them operable and not embarrassing to look at. :coolkettle:

Flips usually require a less practical approach to convince a potential buyer they are getting something virtually like new and not inheriting someone else's crud. On the other hand, I see people selling (and have bought from some of them) grills covered with grease and junk. In the case of kettles even some where the sellers couldn't be bothered with dumping the used-up charcoal :rolleyes: !

Hey whatever you do steer totally clear of "synthetic" steel wool. I.E. ScotchBrite and the like. It will somehow totally ruin the porcelain. (ask me how I know)
Ok, how do you know?

Too late for me, but maybe others can benefit.

Hey whatever you do steer totally clear of "synthetic" steel wool. I.E. ScotchBrite and the like. It will somehow totally ruin the porcelain. (ask me how I know)
Ok, how do you know?

Too late for me, but maybe others can benefit

The abrasive used to make scotch brite pads is really hard and can scratch things that are less likely to scratch compared to 0000 steel wool.

Ok, how do you know?

Too late for me, but maybe others can benefit
Because I absolutely ruined a lid before I realized what had happened. If the lid is wet and "soaped" down and you rub away on it with "synthetic" wool or ScotchBrite once it's dry you will all the scratches and hazing left behind no matter how careful you are. Ruined a stove top as well before I figured it out. Use actual steel wool only. Plus it's cheaper

The abrasive used to make scotch brite pads is really hard and can scratch things that are less likely to scratch compared to 0000 steel wool.
Because I absolutely ruined a lid before I realized what had happened. If the lid is wet and "soaped" down and you rub away on it with "synthetic" wool or ScotchBrite once it's dry you will all the scratches and hazing left behind no matter how careful you are. Ruined a stove top as well before I figured it out. Use actual steel wool only. Plus it's cheaper
I learned something new.

Thanks guys.

Back