Genesis 1000 lid end cap question

Steve Hoch

TVWBB Diamond Member
I have a question for others that have stripped the paint off the lid endcaps. I'm just about done and realize that it would probably look a little better if I took the thermometer holder off to better get the paint off around it. My question is has anyone ever taken one off? Is it going to come off ok, or am I risking breaking it or stripping the screw that holds it on?20220812_214204.jpg20220812_213506.jpg

I have twisted off more than one of those screws trying to remove them. I would leave it on. Don't worry too much about the paint "inside" the thermometer holder. The new paint will cover it up and then the thermometer will hide it as well.

I believe I have removed one or two and replaced successfully, but Bruce has done way more than me. I would go with his advice and agree you really won’t notice anyway.

Looks great. I left mine on too. PIA to strip. I found out the hard way that just sanding the paint smooth is not enough if you want a clean look when stripping them down. IMG_0133.JPGIMG_0143.JPG

So I had a red lid that wasn't exactly restoration quality and decided to swap it with the near perfect black lid on my every day cooker. I still wanted it to look nice so I did the whole job on it. It wasn't an earth shaking project, but thought I would share it anyway.20220817_163516.jpg20220817_170054.jpg20220817_200316.jpg20220817_200338.jpg20220817_200359.jpg

Thanks Bruce! The inside of the red lid has a lot of discoloration or whatever you call it in the porcelain. The black lid I took off was perfect inside and out so I figured I would save it for a future resto.

Steve. Yah, a lot of those lids have defects in the porcelain on the inside of the lid. I think it is something that occurs during cooking. I don't think it is a factory defect. The pattern of the defects seems to mirror the baked on carbon. Good thing it only happens on the inside of the lid. Here is my latest rehab grill that had that defect on the inside of the lid. I don't like it, but I won't discard a lid for that alone.

20220817 Genesis Silver B - Grey Head (5).JPG

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. The red lid is way worse inside than your picture. On the other hand, this is what the inside of the black lid looked like after scraping it:20220620_193434.jpg

Yah, it is always nice when I start scraping away the carbon and don't see any of that defect stuff inside the lid. THey looks sooooo nice that way.

Steve. Yah, a lot of those lids have defects in the porcelain on the inside of the lid. I think it is something that occurs during cooking. I don't think it is a factory defect. The pattern of the defects seems to mirror the baked on carbon. Good thing it only happens on the inside of the lid. Here is my latest rehab grill that had that defect on the inside of the lid. I don't like it, but I won't discard a lid for that alone.

View attachment 57616
16CB2DD5-AC0C-4017-94CB-54D57C51EC46.jpeg
F718434E-E0F6-4DB0-B58D-CEBC622C7070.jpeg

John, if that is not left over carbon on the inside of the lid, then that is probably the worst condition I have seen before.

John, if that is not left over carbon on the inside of the lid, then that is probably the worst condition I have seen before.

I power washed the grill at the end of season, but had no idea that you could scrape the inside of the lid with a razor blade.

That is what 29 years of gunk will do to porcelain enamel coating- I am happy it’s relatively clean and have not used steel wool or do I intend to.

I like to keep things running, and aesthetics are important but not the most important for me.

But I am slowly getting sucked down the Weber grill rabbit hole.

I respect the community here for taking objects that are destined for the scrap pile are making them into something as good or better than anything being manufactured today.

When I bought that grill new so many years ago I remember our friends being impressed “you bought a Weber”

These old grill need to be saved.

I power washed the grill at the end of season, but had no idea that you could scrape the inside of the lid with a razor blade.

That is what 29 years of gunk will do to porcelain enamel coating- I am happy it’s relatively clean and have not used steel wool or do I intend to.

I like to keep things running, and aesthetics are important but not the most important for me.

But I am slowly getting sucked down the Weber grill rabbit hole.

I respect the community here for taking objects that are destined for the scrap pile are making them into something as good or better than anything being manufactured today.

When I bought that grill new so many years ago I remember our friends being impressed “you bought a Weber”

These old grill need to be saved.
Why do you not want to use steel wool and soap? Enamel is glass and under hand pressure rarely scratches. Weber enamel of this period is quite durable, go ahead, simple green or dishwater with Dawn will have that lid standing tall!
I actually like to finish with Windex and a paper towel just like it was a window.

Why do you not want to use steel wool and soap? Enamel is glass and under hand pressure rarely scratches. Weber enamel of this period is quite durable, go ahead, simple green or dishwater with Dawn will have that lid standing tall!
I actually like to finish with Windex and a paper towel just like it was a window.
Well, one reason is that it is the inside of the cap and no matter how pristine I can get it, it’s going to get dirty again.

I did simple green it and lightly scrubbed it with synthetic “steel wool”, and I could see it was probably more trouble than it was worth to invest more time in it - see above

I took a photo just now- 11am sun isn’t allowing a good picture, but I am satisfied with how “clean” the inside of the lid is as shown.
AF781D29-706E-434B-85B3-66D4906BA000.jpeg

And the rest of the grill isn’t pristine so it’s part of the bigger picture.

Here is another picture to further the point- I masked off the worn out fuel gauge sticker when I repainted the legs, and didn’t touch the fuel scale unit except to lubricate it- it is still working as intended and doesn’t look too bad in my opinion.

DB6DA91A-20E4-4762-98CC-6836504F66EF.jpeg

I am a perfectionist only some of the time, if that makes sense.

Cheers

Back