Genesis 1 Restoration: Reassembly

They also have the axle nuts and those tin nuts for the end caps. But, if those tin nuts came off undamaged, id reuse them. Just give them a quick mist of high heat black.
That's what I did, they look sharp and they all seem secure, so I won't worry about those items.
The axle nuts on the scale wheels, the plastic split on both of them. I might go hunting for those.
I also cheaped out on the axle, I just sanded and painted it instead of getting a new stainless rod. I might rethink that, too.

That's what I did, they look sharp and they all seem secure, so I won't worry about those items.
The axle nuts on the scale wheels, the plastic split on both of them. I might go hunting for those.
I also cheaped out on the axle, I just sanded and painted it instead of getting a new stainless rod. I might rethink that, too.

Sanding the axle works. I took the advice of Steve and cleared it after sanding it.

The axle nuts are at Ace too. They have black, white and red ones at the Ace by me. I actually dont think you can get it off without destroying it unless someone knows otherwise.

I also cheaped out on the axle, I just sanded and painted it instead of getting a new stainless rod. I might rethink that, too
That's what I always do with them too and I think it comes out fine, at least you did something. There's nothing wrong with making a new one either, those rods are fairly cheap.

Getting so close now, I can almost taste the inaugural steak tips.

Unfortunately I gotta travel for a few days before I can come back and complete the re-assembly. It's down to just finishing and attaching the slats and handle, and putting the flavor bars in place. Meanwhile I'm seasoning the cast iron grates, currently on run 4 of 6 using the Cook's Illustrated method. Flaxseed oil and patience.

Put the axle in a drill. Then with a thick glove (can get pretty hot) grab a scotch brite pad and run it up and down the rod wile spinning it in the drill. Will look new in 30 seconds
Thanks, I might well give that a try. It's currently painted with rustoleum metallic silver; looks ok, not great. Once it starts to rust I'll try a new approach.

Back