Genesis 1 Restoration: Reassembly

Nice temp fix. but it will continue to rot away. These trays have not been produced by Weber for a long time and even the aftermarket outlets have stopped making them many years ago. They are becoming harder and harder to find in any kind of decent shape in the wild as well.

Good luck finding a replacement. You will eventually score one.

Is it the same as a x000 tray Bruce ?

Well, technically. Some of the early Genesis 1 grills had a bracket welded to the bottom where the wire rack fit into. But the pans are overall the same size and completely interchangeable. So, in short a genesis 1000-5000 pan will fit on a Genesis 1-5 grill.

Nice temp fix. but it will continue to rot away. These trays have not been produced by Weber for a long time and even the aftermarket outlets have stopped making them many years ago. They are becoming harder and harder to find in any kind of decent shape in the wild as well.

Good luck finding a replacement. You will eventually score one.
Oh, yes, her fate is sealed. There are areas of corrosion that will not recover. It did clean up a little though, that other pic is a before pic. I think with a little TLC she's got a lot of life left. Here's the current full view:

Attachments

• Grease tray exterior.jpg
    Grease tray exterior.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Grease tray interior.jpg
    Grease tray interior.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 7
Use those centering bits me and Bruce use and speak about, trust me here you will thank me
I bought a set of these years ago and never used them for anything.

Can I just throw them into my hand drill and, for example, when I’m about to attempt my frame crossbar repair, use them instead of a punch and a hammer?

I bought a set of these years ago and never used them for anything.

Can I just throw them into my hand drill and, for example, when I’m about to attempt my frame crossbar repair, use them instead of a punch and a hammer?
Those center bits are designed for lathes and milling machines.

Yes they will help with hand drill, but you still need center punch and hammer. Those automatic center punches are worthless.

So carefully center punch bolt or metal. Then if you own center drill bits get a nice hole started. Then depending on hole size and point shape on your drill bits you may want to start small and then finish bit.

Ex machine shop owner, have not thought about those bits in decades. Must have 50 in storage

Back