General Baby Back Rib Questions

george winters

TVWBB Member
I have done numerous racks of ribs on WSM over the summer and generally happy with all them . basic dry rub and usually after 3 1/2 4 hours at 225 - 250 C they seem to be cooked. As good as they are -- i just dont find them to be fall off bone - IE: pick them up by end and they break off like they were pre / boiled or such -- Any suggestions on how to the get most tender ribs on WSM? am i maybe not cooking them long enough? I would think the cook should be similar for everyone . but the quality of meat could effect tenderness? thanks so much

Fall of the bone isn't my idea of a great rib, but I realize that many people love it. I suggest the BRITU method. You can't get more tender than that. Best of luck to you and let us know how it works out.
icon_smile.gif

George,

The quality of meat ABSOLUTELY affects tenderness. I've smoked so many racks of ribs that were perfect I could fill a room, but two of the last three efforts resulted in ribs in the trash can. I know some people rightly prefer to use methods to achieve certain results, but for me it's all about time and temp. It's worked for millions of years, and ought to for us, too. I do my ribs anywhere around 275 to 300 until they have a slight tear, just a slight tug, dry rub all the way. Good luck seeking your nirvana, but yes, quality of meat will matter every time.

If you want them to fall off the bone, just cook them longer or foil them or both. If you cook them too long they're going to be dry, and one way to mitigate that effect is to extend the time the ribs spend in foil on the heat. Try one hour or more foiled, they will fall off the bone soon enough.

IMHO ribs are to expensive to cook fall off the bone, you do not want pulled ribs, tender with texture is the best rib imo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george winters:
basic dry rub and usually after 3 1/2 4 hours at 225 - 250 C they seem to be cooked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely you meant 250°F?? 250°C would equal 482°F. That's way too hot for ribs.

I just did 6 racks this past week end. Using a rub, they went in at 10 am at 205o.

Sprayed with apple juice at 2pm, 3pm and at 4pm put a light coat of Bullseye sauce on. Half hour later, another light coat of B.E. and wrapped all of them in one wrap of foil for another 45min.

They came out at 6pm and were moist and tender and had a beautiful ring. They did not "fall off" but were perfectly done.

That's 8 hr (taking into account I added 1 hr for opening the top for spritzing) so a 7hr cook.

They were perfect by all comments so as said, it may be the meat you're using and not the method. As pork is not graded like beef, it may be once you find a source for meat that turns out how you like them,stick with them.

BTW, these ribs were on special at local supermarket. My (new) butcher source wanted twice the price so it made quite a $ difference and the meat turned out excellent.

Here's what's left of 6 racks
test.jpg

I think you need to cook for longer time to get more tender ribs. When following the BRITU recipe, it typically takes 5 hours for mine to get to the point where they tear easily when lifting them off of the grill.

Another method that gives very tender ribs is the 3-2-1 method from Stogie. Basically, you hold the temp of the wsm to 225 and cook for 3 hours, then wrap in foil and cook for 2 more hours at 225, then unfoil and cook for 1 more hour at 225. (One note, I usually only foil for 1 hour, but try the recipe as stated).

Either way, I think you would need to cook longer and pull the ribs when they tell you they are ready, either by internal meat temp or by testing the meat.

I've been doing a modified 3-2-1 method. I call it the 5-1 @ 225. It goes like this.

Prep however you want. Put them in the cooker in a pan with a grate. Don't do anything for the first 2 hours. At 2 hours, spray them down with your favorite liquid (apple, etc.). Same thing at hour 3. Same thing at hour 4. At about hour 5 I pull them and foil (meaty side down) with liquid in the foil. At hour 6 they are done.

If you really want, evenly mop some sauce on them and put them back in uncovered for just about 10-15 mintues to set.

Leaving a LOT of details out but it's gotten me walks for ribs in the last two comps.

Russ

I'm assuming you are cooking Baby Backs at 225 to 250? I would cook them at least 4 1/2 hours. I'm guessing you are about 30 to 45 minutes away from much more tender ribs. I'd also consider bumping the temps to consistently get 250 to 280. You'll get the same ribs in less time.

Make the 3 stage ribs if you want a fall off the bone tender rib. I made them last weekend and it was by far the best ribs I've ever had.

i prefer ribs fall off the bone tender because i dont like chewing the meat off the bone, 250 for 5hrs and I never foil them

When buying baby backs, if you buying them at sams or costco et al make sure that the weight of the 3 racks is at least 10 lb. Are you trying to achieve a clean bone or fall off. At competitions fall means over done. Use the toothpick test. If the toothpick goes thru the meat cleanly and back without any tugging your done. The bones will be clean. I cook mine at 275, it takes me 4-5 hours. I like a nice somke ring and bark, the higher temperture promotes better bark formation.

Back