General 3D Printing Thread

Oh no.

I checked out this thread when it came to the top this morning and learned this new word "RepRap". A couple of hours of Internet rabbit-holing later, I am now 100% convinced that I am going to build a 3d printer.

My wife should have just bought me that iQue 110 for Christmas when she had the chance.

KelleyMc, not to pressure you,but have you decided on a machine? Misumi is running a great deal and it ends today. If you know what you want you should head over there ad put in an order.

I am no way that ready to get started, but thanks. Help me -- Misumi is a good source for components like the step motors and rods, etc? They don't appear to be a 3d-printing-specific supplier, right?

From my limited reading so far, a Prusa i3 with a box frame seems doable and affordable to me.

Misumi is an automation components store. They carry alot of extrusion, as well as linear and rotary motion components. Basically, if you want to build a machine it's a great place to get your structural components. Some of their stuff can be a bit pricey, but on average they're a good deal. So while they don't really cater to the 3D printing crowd they are an invaluable resource for accurate, quality components.

As far as the smartrap I can't say. I am hesitant about recommending designs that I know very little about. :(
Good starter machines are the Prusa i3 and Mendel90.

Also, seriously consider buying this stuff from the guys who designed it. I know some people are price-sensitive, but people like Prusa and nophead put a lot of work into these machines and know them inside and out.

Alternatively, take a class and build a machine. I know botbuilder is running a class soon, but Philly is a little ways from you. An event like this may be in your area as well. Just make sure you get some feedback from previous attendees before plunking down cash on a class. Also, consider visiting a hackerspace. People there are usually friendly - everyone is there out of common interest and wants to make something, and more than likely they have a 3D printer or two. Pick their brains for machine types and see what they have experience with. http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Toronto http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Austin

And don't hesitate to ask questions on this list - we're here to help!

Thanks!

That does look like an amazing deal though. Maybe too good to pass up, but I'm not sure if I can get a parts list together tonight.

Well, I'm committed now -- looks like I have $170 worth of nuts and washers headed my way. Thanks for the tip, Miller.

Anyone want to guess what this is:

13589991895_ab55b7b9b6.jpg

Last edited:
You are correct. I was testing a new machine last night and had it hooked up to my old RAMPS board. What I didn't realize was that the extruder mosfet had faulted and was stuck in an always on configuration. Next thing I know my hotend is a blob of molten aluminum and nearly started a fire. I've become so complacent using these machines that I forgot how easily things can go very wrong. Thankfully it happened when I was awake.

Yes, I was getting ready for it's maiden print last night when that happened. Now I have to wait for a couple of replacement hot end parts.

Those guys are in for a world of hurt.

This will be a how-to for turning a big pile of money into a little pile of money. Even if they double their current donations, <10k units of an item that retails for $299 is going to be tough to pay for tooling of your largest component. They are in no-mans land of too big for a small group to handle everything & not enough capitol to go big.

Need help, my printer has pseudo died after attempting auto bed leveling on my Ramps board. I have the MakerFarm kit and when I tried to configure auto bed leveling things went bad. I've tried reverting all the changes to no avail. Basically the symptoms now are that the LCD display panel isn't getting enough power to display the text, but does seem to power up the blueish backlight of the panel. I've verified voltage is getting to the board from the PSU and if I crank up my trim pot on the power supply I can get the LCD to show text but when I try to print the bed will start to heat; get to about 1/2 way there and then just shut off. If I plug the USB cable in to the arduino side the LCD panel displays normally. When I had it configured for controlling the servo I had the jumper on the pins next to the reset button and when a servo was plugged in and no USB cable the LCD wouldn't come on at all when powered up.

What components on the RAMP board do I need to test, and how to figure out where the failure is? I was thinking it was more than likely one of the flat yellowish capacitors, but have no idea of how to figure out if that is the issue or not. I'd definitely prefer to try to fix the board rather than buying a whole new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back