Gave T-Mobile the boot and went with Google Fi

Using Google fi since they launched as project Fi, never had issues. One line unlimited text and calling, and $10 per gig. Since always on wifi here, get credits that roll over every month. Coverage excellent in my area.

Just do it. Especially if you're 55 or over. Honestly I am very pleased. I have not witnessed a single one of the issues some say. And everyone else I know get the same experience. However it's not a "passive" thing. You need to actively set your phone to use the services TM provides. If you don't then you will experience issues. For example. I had to turn off the services this past weekend as I was waiting for a call back from Animal Control and our local County Sherriff due to 4 or 5 loose very vicious and aggressive pit bulls that were loose and attacking people (nearly me incuded). But they call from blocked numbers so I had to turn off those services. I forgot to turn the services back on after the call and yeah I was inundated with garbage. Turned it back on. Phone is perfectly silent now unless I want the txt or the call. TM is to my knowledge the only company that does not charge for the services (but I could be wrong) and I am here to tell ya. It really does work IF use it
Yeah. No, it's not any settings on any of the phones I've had with T-Mobile. It's marketing texts which I know I could have likely blocked but it was also texts regarding possible service issues for tower maintenance near us. Also, I found it odd that I never got any emails from T-Mobile, only texts. I should probably consider myself fortunate for that.
The Pixel line is designed to maximize the Android platform and I like the smaller size of the Pixel 7a...6"vs 6.8" for some of the other phones out there. Although the better Samsung phones are really nice. ..I love my Galaxy S5e tablet even though it's 3-4 years old. Rock solid.
I'm the only one in my family that uses an Android phone( and tablet).

Fact is, I'm getting identical T-Mobile coverage at a significantly cheaper price in a simple, streamlined package.

I have had a T-Mobile plan for at least the last 15 years.

We currently pay $99 a month for five lines.

I have read about the “forced plan migration” so I keep an eye out for that.

From what I have read, in order to keep my current plan, I just need to “opt out” of any changes T-Mobile tries to make on my plan.

Annoying yes, but otherwise it’s a great plan and I doubt I could do better.
Come March ill be at $117 all in for 6 lines of services unlimited and two of them have the insurance plan. Can't beat that.

Yes I get texts re my invoice is available, my invoice is paid, a tower will go down, etc. No "marketing" ones at all. I actually APPRECIATE the ones re service issues, and my billing. They keep me on top of what is happening. And if you bother at all to "read" the texts of that nature, there is a "stop" function built in. So you can respond stop and you will not get these.
A long time back, I was getting some so called "marketing" texts purporting to be from T-Mo. I called them and right away a tech got on my line with me. He told me TM does NOT send marketing texts and helped me track down a spyware on my phone that got in there, from a free app I downloaded a short time before. It was pretty persistent and hard to flush out, and it was disguised as some type of TM app. But the tech walked me through how to tell it was NOT a TM app. He helped me flush that POS out, and for close to a year now absolutely nothing like that ever. Could be some of you complaining about this may have been able to do what I did. Call TM, have the techs walk you through the issue, deleting and flushing out the errant app, and voila peace in the world. (at least peace to me)
BTW here are the services YOU control that are provided by TM and Google (since I use the Google dialer app and Google messages app) not the Samsung apps.
I have near 0 unwanted calls and texts as there are similar settings in the Google Messaging app.

Screenshot_20231027_081312_Phone.jpgScreenshot_20231027_081339_Call settings.jpg

Yes I get texts re my invoice is available, my invoice is paid, a tower will go down, etc. No "marketing" ones at all. I actually APPRECIATE the ones re service issues, and my billing. They keep me on top of what is happening. And if you bother at all to "read" the texts of that nature, there is a "stop" function built in. So you can respond stop and you will not get these.
A long time back, I was getting some so called "marketing" texts purporting to be from T-Mo. I called them and right away a tech got on my line with me. He told me TM does NOT send marketing texts and helped me track down a spyware on my phone that got in there, from a free app I downloaded a short time before. It was pretty persistent and hard to flush out, and it was disguised as some type of TM app. But the tech walked me through how to tell it was NOT a TM app. He helped me flush that POS out, and for close to a year now absolutely nothing like that ever. Could be some of you complaining about this may have been able to do what I did. Call TM, have the techs walk you through the issue, deleting and flushing out the errant app, and voila peace in the world. (at least peace to me)
BTW here are the services YOU control that are provided by TM and Google (since I use the Google dialer app and Google messages app) not the Samsung apps.
I have near 0 unwanted calls and texts as there are similar settings in the Google Messaging app.

View attachment 81177View attachment 81178
The marketing texts I received from T-Mobile were usually phone offers...new iPhone, etc. They were definitely from T-Mobile and yes,, there was the option to text back STOP or NO or whatever. Nevertheless, they were unsolicited texts at random times...usually in the AM..
Now that could be because I had the T-Mobile Tuesdays app on my phone too. Don't know. It doesn't matter now. I have the exact T-Mobile coverage, including 5g, that I had with the T-Mobile plan, T-Mobile One TE...don't know what the TE stood for, at a fraction of what I was paying T-Mobile directly and a new phone that won't cost me anything in 23 months. One thing I miss now that I need to monitor is storage. Only because I'm used to a 128gb SD card in my previous phones. I realize that's becoming a feature of the past with cloud storage, which is relatively inexpensive($2-$3/month for 100-200gb).

I agree with LMichaels on T-Mobile. Nothing but good service, good coverage and good price for 55+ plan. I too tried the internet with them but could not get a reliable connection. There was no mention of an external antenna.

I agree with LMichaels on T-Mobile. Nothing but good service, good coverage and good price for 55+ plan. I too tried the internet with them but could not get a reliable connection. There was no mention of an external antenna.

They are introducing a new gateway/modem. Which will have external antenna jacks plus the ability to turn off internal wifi for use with other WIFI equipment i.e. EERO, Netgear, what have you. Sadly they could not or would not exchange my equipment. So I had to return to XFinity a company I REALLY hate.

They are introducing a new gateway/modem. Which will have external antenna jacks plus the ability to turn off internal wifi for use with other WIFI equipment i.e. EERO, Netgear, what have you. Sadly they could not or would not exchange my equipment. So I had to return to XFinity a company I REALLY hate.
Comcast/Xfinity work hard to get us to hate them! Although my $80/ month internet at the beach house is rock solid and losing the cable TV and running with Roku TV and Fubo for Eagles, Phillies(although that didn't end well!) and dozens of other channels has worked great.
I tried one of those "amplified " indoor antennas from Amazon. A complete joke. Returned it immediately. So , it's just streaming TV for us down there. We pay xfinity close to $300/month here in PA though. Everything works well...as well it should for that kind of $$$.

Comcast/Xfinity work hard to get us to hate them! Although my $80/ month internet at the beach house is rock solid and losing the cable TV and running with Roku TV and Fubo for Eagles, Phillies(although that didn't end well!) and dozens of other channels has worked great.
I tried one of those "amplified " indoor antennas from Amazon. A complete joke. Returned it immediately. So , it's just streaming TV for us down there. We pay xfinity close to $300/month here in PA though. Everything works well...as well it should for that kind of $$$.
Yeah, we dumped Xfinity for TV/DVR etc. service. I bought a network connected Tablo. Sits in basment where my main antenna lead comes in. The Tablo then streams shows over my network to all the TVs in the house or to my phones or computers. IIRC with the setup I have it can record about 700 hours UHD TV.
And we got FUBO, for all other TV. Since it's the only service that carries Sportsnet and Marquee so we can watch Cubs and Sox. And sometimes the Blackhawks

Larry I have Fubo also not the deal it used to be but none of them are anymore. I think when I first signed up with them they were 65 bucks and they are 89 bucks now. I need the sports channels and my wife needs the real Hallmark channels as Fubo is the only service that has them. You have to pick your poison with these streaming services if your a basketball fan you can pay extra for a NBA package on Fubo but they dont have the turner stations so games that would be free on TNT are not available.

Larry I have Fubo also not the deal it used to be but none of them are anymore. I think when I first signed up with them they were 65 bucks and they are 89 bucks now. I need the sports channels and my wife needs the real Hallmark channels as Fubo is the only service that has them. You have to pick your poison with these streaming services if your a basketball fan you can pay extra for a NBA package on Fubo but they dont have the turner stations so games that would be free on TNT are not available.
Yeah, why on earth is TN showing baseball games or sports of any type. Frosts me. :mad::mad:. For now FUBO does what I need at a lower cost overall than Comcast. So I will stick with that, until it doesn't suit me anymore. IIRC mine is $89 or $94 mo. WAY too much $$$ but still best thing out there for the $$$$ related to what we want to watch

Larry TNT always had basketball at least for the last 5 years or so. Time Warner bought Turner which obviously had CNN, TNT and other channels but Fubo does not have the Time Warner package so again its always pick what works for you. You seem happy with Fubo and I am also. But someone else may want the Time Warner package so Fubo does not work for them.

Yeah, we dumped Xfinity for TV/DVR etc. service. I bought a network connected Tablo. Sits in basment where my main antenna lead comes in. The Tablo then streams shows over my network to all the TVs in the house or to my phones or computers. IIRC with the setup I have it can record about 700 hours UHD TV.
And we got FUBO, for all other TV. Since it's the only service that carries Sportsnet and Marquee so we can watch Cubs and Sox. And sometimes the Blackhawks
Have optimum for TV and Internet. Only time issues is crazy winter storm/ extreme weather. Otherwise rock solid. Sny,yes, and msg has me covered for local teams. Plus I have all the other sports channels.espn, Fox sports, etc...

Been running comcast for 4+ years and have had great service, had sprint for a long time and 2 phones were crazy $$. turned all the equipment in and then received a bill asking me to pay for the equipment and they would refund it to me when they got confirmation , I sent them email of the receipts and they kept on, finally threatened some things and they decided they had enough info, my 2 phones cost me $25 a month most of the time, we don't download music ect, lot of texts and calls and a little net surfing during lunch break.

Comcast has a monopoly here. My only alternative was TM 5g home internet.
I think we're pretty spoiled here. Choice of fiber (symettric 1gbps Internet, small regional combined provider,) coax broadband (Mediacom..... EWWWW!) or DSL (Frontier..... wasn't all bad down at the rental 15 years ago.) Right now, all 3 are wired to this address, and I can change with prety much just 1 phone call (god news why I'd do that, I"m very happy with the fiber service.) I honestly don't know if TMobile 5g would work here.

Cell service..... I end up out in the sticks just often enough that it's either going to be AT&T or Verizon.

Yeah, there is Frontier but their service is AWFUL. Slower than old dial up. Honestly outside of my Faraday cage home TM signals are outstanding. I get lightning internet. But, they're honestly quite short sighted not having this option for people like me

Well, I have been auto paying my T-Mobile bill with a credit card. This morning, I got a text stating that if I wanted to keep my 10 dollar discount for auto pay that I had to switch to a bank account or debit card to pay. So much for me getting a few cents back thru my credit card. Everybody is chipping away at my money.

Back