Gas Grill Tri-Tip

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
Hello All:

Been quite a while since I've taken pix and posted them here - hope I can accomplish same successfully without too many tries. As I promised in last Friday's post, I took photos of my first attempt at gas grill-rotisseried (is that a real word?) Tri-Tip. I chose a 325º cooking temp, and aimed for 140º as my initial resting temp, in order to achieve a just-ever-so-slightly-less-than-medium final result.

After rubbing with a Santa Maria-style rub I've used since locating it on the web, my 3.89 Lb Tri-Tip was put on the grill and roasted for one hour; a Thermapen registered 115º at the center. I allowed 15 minutes more, and it indicated - in several spots at the thickest point - 140º. Here's a photo (hopefully) of it still on the spit:

Here it is on the cutting board, resting:

Finally, here's the sliced-up final product:

What I liked about my cooking method was (1) its relative simplicity; (2) the meat was pretty darned juicy (I didn't find it necessary to baste with a mop, as is called for in the recipe I have used previously in all me Tri-Tip endeavors; and (3) the taste was great (my guests claimed).

I DID miss the smokey flavor that is customary with oak chunks and K-briquettes; next time I may try adding smoke (via smoker box) to see if that might help.

Don't know what happened to the "almost medium" target I chose - the meat from the middle was WAY too rare for my tastes - maybe I need to check my Thermapen's accuracy - but subjecting it to 30 second's worth of microwave radiation managed to resolve that particular issue.

In any event, regarding the answer to my original question posed in Friday's post - about how long it might take - seems to be, under MY particular circumstances (and not considering differences in factors such as wind, humidity, ambient temps, etc. - about 22 minutes per pound.

Regards,

Rooster

Last edited:

Back