Gas Grill Temperaturea

Mike Powers

I just bought my first gas grill ever. Been smoking meats for many years, on a stick burner. I find nothing better than smoking with my stick burner. But, now I'm hoping to excel at grilling, and possibly a little smoking on my new Spirit II E310 3 burner gas grill. Even having a griddle made to switch out with grates from time to time. Not, sure I learned a lot from the temperature profiles of the gas grill. I got temps with 3 burners on high, middle, and low. Then two burners, and one... get the picture? The one thing I think I have learned from all the setting is that I cant get the grill temps low enough to smoke some low and slow meats at times. Guess, I will have do do hot and fast. Actually guessing I will do a lot of cooking at the lowest settings, and use 1-3 burners depending upon temperatures. Anyone ever do this?
Grillin' and Griddlin'

:spiritiie310:

Hi Mike, here’s a good recent read on smoke and smoking in a gasser. Maybe this will offer some insight to your desires and goals?

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your cooks.

I just bought my first gas grill ever. Been smoking meats for many years, on a stick burner. I find nothing better than smoking with my stick burner. But, now I'm hoping to excel at grilling, and possibly a little smoking on my new Spirit II E310 3 burner gas grill.
I just noticed you posted in the smokefire forum.

Smokefire is a pellet grill.

Maybe @Chris Allingham will get a chance to move this to the gas grill forum.

Welcome Mike.

What was the lowest temp you had with just one burner?
Larry's comment above is why I asked about temps.

I have not cooked on a spirit 310, but the other gas grills I've had run a bit too hot for smoking.

Welcome Mike.

What was the lowest temp you had with just one burner?
Sorry Dan,
Been out of wack for awhile.
One Burner (CENTER) on lowest setting indicated 310°F on the hood thermometer and 300°F on the inside thermometer (sitting on warming rack).
The highest setting on same burner produced 420°F on hood thermometer, and 370°F on inside thermometer (sitting on warming rack).

I had a full size griddle made for my Spirit II, so I can switch between grilling and griddle. Just got it in yesterday, seasoned it and did my very first griddle cook. Simple stuff... bacon, and hamburgers. Worked well and I figure things will get better as I learn to grill AND cook on full griddle.

There's an old saying that you can't smoke on a gas grill. I spent several years trying to prove that wrong before buying my near new WSM 14.5. I could get low and slow with my Gennie sear burner at 275* (on a cold day), and some smoke flavor with wood chunks or pellets, but smoking requires the right environment and pressure and who knows what else. (The wisdom of Jimbo, Tubby's owner.) I'd be happy for someone to prove this wrong, but I need to see the smoke ring.

I keep seeing this thing about "pressure". There is no pressure inside a grill (wood fired or gas). Paying attention to air flow is what is needed not really what supplied the heat

Back