Using Wood Chips to Add Smoke Flavor in a Gas Grill

EmoryG

TVWBB Fan
We just replaced our gas grill with a new one. Yesterday we stopped at a specialty store that sells wood for grilling. They also sell many rubs and sauces and a few grilling accessories. I was shocked at the prices they were asking for small bags of shredded wood chips. Here are my questions about wood for adding smoke flavor to a gas grill:

* Are those smoker boxes a good idea, or do you just make throwaway foil packets?
* If you like smoker boxes, what do you look for? Is there one that you recommend?

* Where do you source wood chips at a reasonable value and cost?
* Do people with tools buy larger pieces of wood and make their own chips from them? If so, does it make any sense to do that?

Frankly, the chips that we saw are what woodworkers put in the trash. Those bags of smoker chips are being sold at high prices, at least around here in Southern California. Someone is turning waste lemons into lemonade. In many parts of the country, hardwood trees grow all over, but they are far less common here. You can't just trade some chunks of the downwood maple from your property for chunks of their downwood hickory from your neighbor's property - those types of hardwood trees are not common here. I know where to source rough hardwood boards for making projects, but never tried to find wood in other forms. It isn't clear to me that buying rough boards to make chips makes economical sense, so I wonder what others do that makes sense. I can't see paying $3-5 for a fold top sandwich bag size packet of splintery chips of hardwoods.

So ...
-> Please share your experiences with gas grills and smoker boxes and wood chips. I would like to know what works best for you. For those who live in areas where hardwoods are less common, I would like to know your favorite sources for the hardwoods you use for your gas grill. Thanks!

I think smoker boxes are nice. There are ones that nest between two flarvorizer bars. A little goes a long way, so I have never objected to buying the pre-packaged varieties you see at places like Ace or Lowes. The Weber brand ones are kind of pricey, though. Having said that, you can by all means just use foil wrapped "packets" with a few holes in them and get just as good results.

One comment I will make is to NOT use a smoker box underneath raw cast iron (and probably any cast iron) grates. It can take the seasoning right off. Stainless steel or even GrillGrates are fine, however. There is a smoker box underneath in this picture.

Steaks & Burgers with smoke.jpeg

I have a V shaped one that like Jon mentions, fits between the flavorizer bars. It works well. Simply using some tin foil and chunks of wood works as well.
I agree, the cost to buy wood chunks for smoking is crazy expensive. I cut down a crab apple tree in my parents yard 3-4 years ago and cut the trunk and branches in to about 3" sections. Then I split them into chunks. I still have half a 5 gallon bucket full of them. At some point I will find additional wood to use. We have lots in Wisconsin. Hickory, Oak, cherry, Apple, etc.... Since I have the apple, I use mostly apple, but would like a chunk of Hickory to use as well. Lots of people cut and burn wood around here so I just have to find someone willing to give me nice sized section to cut/split up. Oak is extremely common here.

I have smoker box and a couple types of bagged chips. Then last summer we were at a BBQ at a new freinds house and he was using a smoke tube and used wood pellets it smoke was more mild than straight wood but could be adjusted by the type of pellets you bought. I think seems to light easier and fits between the flavor bars real nice plus the round shape makes easy install and removal. So now I have both got tube off Amazon like 10 bucks or less.

When I had a gasser, I simply bought wood chunks (not chips) and would put a chunk or two on the grate over burners I had on low. They would smolder for a which before catching on fire, but by the time they did catch on fire, they got some smoke flavoring into the meat

...ymmv

I've used a smoke tube and pellets.
i do this method when smoking salmon into lox. smoke tubes with pellets generates a lot of quality smoke. and pellets are easily accessible and the flavor are divers too. they even come in blends. i've done the v-box smoker in years past and the foil packets. neither are like using charcoal and wood. if i were gassing today, i'd use the smoke tube and pellets knowing that pellets put out a good amount of smoke and you can place the lit smoke tube with pellet atop your grate for easy access and cleanup (just residual ash is left over after a smoke session.)

Light the tube with pellets in it

1655836080439.jpeg

Blow out the flames and place smoke tube on grate and close lid. The smoke will fill the bbq cook box

1655836138812.jpeg

Last edited:
i do this method when smoking salmon into lox. smoke tubes with pellets generates a lot of quality smoke. and pellets are easily accessible and the flavor are divers too. they even come in blends. i've done the v-box smoker in years past and the foil packets. neither are like using charcoal and wood. if i were gassing today, i'd use the smoke tube and pellets knowing that pellets put out a good amount of smoke and you can place the lit smoke tube with pellet atop your grate for easy access and cleanup (just residual ash is left over after a smoke session.)
Brett,

I have a pellet tube and lots of pellets. I haven't had much success getting the right pace of smoking vs. burning the pellets and making too much heat, but I need more practice.

Some here seem to feel that if the smoke source is at or above grate-level that you don't get very good results. I am assuming you have NOT found that to be the case? I would be interested in what you have found in your experience.

Brett,

I have a pellet tube and lots of pellets. I haven't had much success getting the right pace of smoking vs. burning the pellets and making too much heat, but I need more practice.

Some here seem to feel that if the smoke source is at or above grate-level that you don't get very good results. I am assuming you have NOT found that to be the case? I would be interested in what you have found in your experience.
Just posted pics of how I smoke salmon. My experience is light the tube/pellets and let it burn for 5 minutes and then extinguish the flame. The tube will produce a good amount of smoke.

link to smoke tube: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N3QG4QL/?tag=tvwb-20

Cover the grill lid and let the smoke fill the chamber.

I’ll see if I can dig up more pics with my summit lid closed and the amount of smoke emanating from the bbq.

I like to get the pellets well lit so when I extinguish the flame I have a lot of smoldering pellets which make the smoke.

1655836493299.jpeg

NOTE: use insulated gloves when touching a lit smoke tube. Yes, it will burn the skin on your fingers. You’ve now been warned. And yes, the burn f!,$in hurts, for weeks.

Last edited:
that's a good point and observation. if you're making burgers and expecting to impart a lot of smoke, you're going to need to dial down your grilling temp AND have the smoke tube already generating smoke. smoke up the meat and then sear off the burger once at temp, say 120F or so. at leas you can build smoke and then maillard reaction. if doing TT or any other steaks or foul, i'd run in similar fashion. the hint of smoke might be enough if you're using a smokey flavor pellet.

on salmon, this is my 100% goto process and method. and i am fully satisfied and do not plan any method changes in making my lox.

Having experimented for MANY more years on this than I can count this is my observation and experience, 1. Smoke at grate level is for YOUR nose not for flavor. Does basically nothing except make a pleasing aroma to the Lord :D
2. IDK where the advice of not using smoke production under CI grates taking off seasoning comes from Here to tell you after MANY years of it under CI not true. Perhaps if your chips catch fire and burn really hot, MAYBE could damage the seasoning directly over the flames otherwise "smoke away".
3. Fancy smoker boxes are "nice". IMO just that. they don't "add" anything to the flavor or experience. My fav thing is I use the small stainless steel water cup from the smoke attachment Weber made for early Genesis grills. Honestly the ONLY good useful part of that apparatus. Otherwise I simply make foil packets and use as needed until food is done.
4. On most gas grills they're designed for airflow front to back. So keep smoke generators to the front of your grill
Believe me I have tried and done it all.

Having experimented for MANY more years on this than I can count this is my observation and experience, 1. Smoke at grate level is for YOUR nose not for flavor. Does basically nothing except make a pleasing aroma to the Lord :D
have to disagree. i smoke all my salmon/lox at grate level and get substantial smoke flavor onto the fish. mind you, the fish has to have developed its pellicle (oily layer) which the smoke adheres to when in a smoke session.

one is NOT going to get deep smoke penetration on any gasser. i just don't see it happening. but for smoke perfume and nose, yes, smoke at grate level will get there as the smoke particles will adhere to the protein's fats.

but again, if smoke is what one is really seeking, move to coal/lump/stick burners. those cookers make smoke.

i've done foil packet, v-box smokers, weber's side box on the summit (it emits smoke at grate level) and the smoke flavor on a gasser is mild at best.

i do think we need an new horse now. this one is quite beaten to death :cool:

Larry,
The opinion about a SMOKER BOX (not chips in a pouch) under cast iron came from me. A few years ago I had worked very carefully to season a set of original Weber cast iron grates (no coating that at least I could ever detect). On one cook, the smoker box did get carried away, and off went my seasoning and very rapidly in the Florida humidity on came the rust (verifying, I think, that this particular set of grates did not have a coating). It was a lot of work to get them back in shape.

Anyway, I don't think that would ever happen with a foil package, and maybe that's one more vote in favor of that over using a smoker box.

L
2. IDK where the advice of not using smoke production under CI grates taking off seasoning comes from Here to tell you after MANY years of it under CI not true. Perhaps if your chips catch fire and burn really hot, MAYBE could damage the seasoning directly over the flames otherwise "smoke away".
3. Fancy smoker boxes are "nice". IMO just that. they don't "add" anything to the flavor or experience. My fav thing is I use the small stainless steel water cup from the smoke attachment Weber made for early Genesis grills. Honestly the ONLY good useful part of that apparatus. Otherwise I simply make foil packets and use as needed until food is done.
4. On most gas grills they're designed for airflow front to back. So keep smoke generators to the front of your grill
Believe me I have tried and done it all.
Like Brett, I've used pellets in my smoke tube at grate level many times and can assure you that it imparted a very nice smoke flavor to all of the cooks. From Salmon to ribs, to cheese and jerkey.

Larry,
The opinion about a SMOKER BOX (not chips in a pouch) under cast iron came from me. A few years ago I had worked very carefully to season a set of original Weber cast iron grates (no coating that at least I could ever detect). On one cook, the smoker box did get carried away, and off went my seasoning and very rapidly in the Florida humidity on came the rust (verifying, I think, that this particular set of grates did not have a coating). It was a lot of work to get them back in shape.

Anyway, I don't think that would ever happen with a foil package, and maybe that's one more vote in favor of that over using a smoker box.
I honestly don't know what the difference would be. Smoke is smoke. I have had occasions where I forgot to watch and regulate the heat and had the container go up in flames pretty badly. So as I noted I could understand that happening. But just the addition of smoke (no matter the container that generates it) doesn't bother the seasoning.

but again, if smoke is what one is really seeking, move to coal/lump/stick burners. those cookers make smoke.

Not all of us have the space, money or desire for a "stick burner". My commentary comes after much experimentation and experience. I have gotten my ability to actually "smoke" something down quite well and can actually perform that task quite well on my grills. I have smoked (not "cooked" with smoke flavor) things like salmon, pork and so on quite effectively with my techniques.

It’s like I said, the box got too hot and the fire burned off the seasoning. User error but it was a pain to remedy. Had I been using stainless grates it would not have been any big deal.

So, does that smoker just use regular pellets that are normally used in a pellet grill? I would suspect you can use other types of smoker boxes the same way as well or do you need the wide open venting?

Back