Gas grill mat

I hesitate to use a grill mat on a deck. They trap too much moisture under them and that cannot be good for the wood under there. I may be wrong however. I don't keep my grill on my deck so it isn't an issue for me, but it just seems like it could be a problem.

I agree with Bruce. I bought one an on the first rain it kept all the moisture under it for many days. Maybe it is easier to do a quick clean after grilling.

I picked up one of the mats from Lowes. My deck is concrete so it isn't that big a deal but I would worry the mat would scratch a wood deck. Mine doesn't seem like it would suck up moisture but I definitely could see it trapping it underneath. I have to move my grill to use it so I just pick it up when I'm done. If you do that I wouldn't worry about moisture though.

I disagree, I have been using them for years and my deck is even shaded after the morning has passed. Wood deck, some of the bulk rubber they have on rolls at the hardware store, keeps everything including burns off of the deck and I have no problems with mold or anything like that.

While those Amazon mats are more attractive to the eye, the bulk rolls at a hardware store will cost you less money and you can get it now instead of waiting for the shipment to arrive. I am not at home but it fits the performer perfectly. I would guess its 3 feet wide and you can just get it cut to whatever length you want. Price is per foot and it is not very thick so you could roll your grill on and off it without any hassle. I would post pics but again not at home.

I would at least remove and or move it, and let the deck breathe.
I've done quite a few service calls on decks I built and trapped moisture was one that would discolor deck boards and cause premature failure on fasteners, and that was on wood decking.
That whole Trex or composite decking is a whole nother story..

I used a metal tray used under your car to catch oil leaks, my deck was made of Trex, so even a small chunk of hot coal can make a mess. Any way to remove water I put a 10 penny nail hole in the center to let bulk water out. Some would stay buy evaporate faster that way. Seems your deck boards are spaced the water has a place to go. I could I ld just move whatever grill I was using on to the pañ.

I don't use a mat at all. I have a stained deck and could see the color not fading as much under the mat (if I used one). Then if I ever decided to move the grill my deck would look odd.

I don't use a mat at all. I have a stained deck and could see the color not fading as much under the mat (if I used one). Then if I ever decided to move the grill my deck would look odd.
I see you point , I moved my grills around every few weeks and if not cooking for awhile I would just lean the drip pan against the railing or other spot.

Back