Fun with scallops

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Last month one of the stores was running a special on small scallops, so I picked some up to grill. Unfortunately they were wet-pack instead of dry-pack, but for about $7/lb I knew that's what I'd be getting.

They can be a pain to skewer but the job's easier if the skewers stand upright and the scallops are pushed down.

Scallops20201205_1.jpg

My first thought was to wrap them with bacon but I ditched that plan once I saw how many I had. Instead, I came up with the idea of giving them a bacon "blanket" on one side.

Scallops20201205_2.jpg

The scallops cooked mostly bacon-side-down, with a quick finish on the exposed side to pick up a little bit of color. Getting some nice browning on wet-pack scallops can be difficult, so I didn't even try.

Scallops20201205_3.jpg

Overall they weren't too bad and the bacon added some flavor, but I think from now on I'll try to stick with dry-pack scallops even though they're often pricier...buddy, can you spare a dime?

Looks tasty. I wont buy scallops anymore. What we get here aren't good. We don't even have a dedicated Fish Market, which is crazy for a town of 100,000, and an outlying area of another 100,000. So iff I'm going to spurge on seafood it'll be dungeness crab. Which the season just opened!

Wow, that sucks, and it's not like you're ridiculously far from the ocean, either! But there's nothing wrong with crab...

I'll agree with Case, it pays to be picky about a fish market. Oddly enough, Costco *IS* one of the few places that I'll buy unfrozen seafood. If I can't smell the counter, that's usually a good sign.

When I was still living outside of Chicago, I always some one of the big metro vendor's trucks on the highway, & decided to check out their storefront. I knew that it was not going to be a positive experience when it stunk before I even opened the outer door. :(

Back