Frozen butt

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So, I decided this morning that I'm going to throw on a butt I have in the freezer tonight. I know some just throw it right on to the WSM frozen solid, but I was considering taking it out of the freezer an hour or two before putting it on. My thinking is some exterior thawing will help the rub "stick" better than it would to a frozen block of ice. Am I wasting my time? First frozen butt - any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Guess I won't need much of a heat sink.
icon_smile.gif

Jim, do it just about all the time. Slap some mustard on it put your rub on the slather and let 'er rip. After awhile the meat will defrost enough on the smoker to put your temp probes in. I think you get a greater smoke ring and internal color doing it this way

Thanks Paul.

How much time do you think this adds to the cook process roughly?

Jim, can't rightly say cause I never really compared the times.I usually cook 9 pounders and they seem to finish in about 12 hours. I've even put them on frozen together in the two pack. You just have to wait awhile to install your temp probes

Thanks.

Got it on about 11 last night. Didn't even bother with the probe until about an hour ago. Butt was at 150 and moving right along.

Gonna throw on some spares in a few hours.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'm happy to find this info on doing frozen butts!

It's something that I had never given thought to, just assumed they needed to be thawed.
Great for those "I sure would like to have some pulled pork" moments.

Good luck on your cook Jim. Please return with the final results.

Good luck with your cook, and I'm awaiting the results as well .. I didn't think cooking a frozen butt was possible.

Bill

Butt has been on for 16.5 hours. Sitting at 185 now. I'm going to start checking for done. My longest butt cook so far. Previous was 16 hours.

Just put a rack of St Louis trimmed spares on the Performer at 350. They were frozen but I thawed them first.

Came out great. Total cook time ended up being 17 hours, 15 minutes. I did lose heat over night. Went to bed at 1am with temps at 235. Woke up at 7 and it was at 180. Butt was at 150. Stirred, and threw on some unlight. Two hours later, I was still only sitting at 200 with vents wide open, so I added about a dozen lit, and ten more unlit. Fine after that, sitting at 230 for the rest of the cook.

No pics, but the best smoke ring I've had on a butt. I'll definitely do this cook again. It's a comfort to know I can keep a butt in the freezer just in case I decide to cook one on a whim.

Nice to know this can be done!

I'd say we are quite special crowd, who else would say "on a whim" about something that takes 17 hours to finish
icon_biggrin.gif

i took a butt out of the freezer wednsday for WSM Pork&Kraut today. when i put my probe in the butt was 33º internal. after being on the WSM for 15 minutes at 300º it dropped to 30º
icon_eek.gif
. it's now up to 35º after being on the WSM for an hour at 300-325.

Back