From scratch beans...how do you cook and prepare them?

Miguel M

TVWBB Pro
I love refried beans! My wife, bless her heart, has made frijoles for me ONCE. After that, I was afraid I was going to explode. She keeps on offering to make more, but I'm not sure my insides can handle it again.

Any tips on how to make them without the GI trauma? And, any tips on how to refry them? Much appreciated. Thanks

I believe that Tony R will have a good recipe. His beans always look good. Now if it were BBQ beans I could help..........

Miguel, the way i re-fry beans. 1st i render some bacon in the skillet, after bacon is rendered you can leave the bacon or take out the bacon i leave it. Next put the beans in the skillet low to medium heat. Mash the beans and fry till all liquid has evaporated stirring frequently. Salt and pepper to taste.

Next chop up some onion and tomato. Heat a flour tortilla and fill with beans, onion and tomato best taco in the USA.

Miguel, the way i re-fry beans. 1st i render some bacon in the skillet, after bacon is rendered you can leave the bacon or take out the bacon i leave it. Next put the beans in the skillet low to medium heat. Mash the beans and fry till all liquid has evaporated stirring frequently. Salt and pepper to taste.

Next chop up some onion and tomato. Heat a flour tortilla and fill with beans, onion and tomato best taco in the USA.

Thanks. Man that sounds tasty. just want to get the beans to a point where they aren't WMDs

I get where your coming from.

Soak for at least 8 hours rinse. and when you cook them put 2 tbs of oil (doesn't matter what kind) in the water. This prevents them from foaming. Also you have to get your body used to eating them by eating them more often like once a week(smaller portion size in the beginning) The more often you eat them the less gas pain you will have each time.
*canned beans must be rinsed first too.

Hope this helps.

Here's one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/refried-beans-frijoles-refritos-recipe/index.html

And another I found on another BBQ site by a fella named fpmich:

Refried Beans from scratch (Yield: 6-7 cups)

First the soup
1 lb. Dry Pinto, or Black Beans
1 tsp. Marjoram or Oregano
2 tsp. Black Pepper
2 tsp. Salt, added during last 1/2 hour of cooking soup

Sort & remove debris. Place in pan of water, swish to rinse, and remove any floating beans. Drain water, & refill to 3X level of the beans. Soak overnight. Rinse beans next day & add water to about 1" above beans & bring to simmer in heavy pot (Dutch oven), Cover bring to boil on high heat.Put in pot 275* F oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours, You can cook in crock pot on high for about 3-5 hours. Check water level either method, to keep beans just barely covered while cooking. Test Beans. Squeeze 3-4 beans from different areas. If all are soft & tender, they’re done. If even just one is a little hard, cook longer.

Needed for 1 lb of cooked beans.
4-6 Tbsp. Bacon Grease
2 Tbsp. Real Butter (‘Not’ Margarine)

Refried part is best done in smaller batches. (Just divide beans, grease & butter amounts)
Heat bacon grease in heavy pan on med high, until quite hot, but not smoking. Ladle beans into pan with juice keeping juice below top of beans. Bring to low boil & using a fork or potato masher, mash beans half way, leaving chunks & some whole beans. Reduce heat to low & stir to prevent scorching. Add bean broth if too thick, or more drained beans if too thin. Cook until slightly thinner than you prefer. They’ll thicken on plate. Stir in butter at end, & serve. Freeze any leftover bean soup for next time.

Last edited:
Thank you sir. What's Maribel from scratch recipe?

2lbs of pinto or peruano beans soaked in water for 4 hours

Then drain water and in big pot and add water and put your beans on the stove in low.

Add 1/4 onion and 3 garlic cloves

This will take about 2 -3 hours when done add salt to taste. About 5 tbs of salt. Give or take.

To check when they are done get a tbs of beans and taste and every bean should be soft if one of them are hard they need more time

Maribel said peruanos beans will need less salt.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

I get where your coming from.

Soak for at least 8 hours rinse. and when you cook them put 2 tbs of oil (doesn't matter what kind) in the water. This prevents them from foaming. Also you have to get your body used to eating them by eating them more often like once a week(smaller portion size in the beginning) The more often you eat them the less gas pain you will have each time.
*canned beans must be rinsed first too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. We'll give it a go.

Here's one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/refried-beans-frijoles-refritos-recipe/index.html

And another I found on another BBQ site by a fella named fpmich:

Refried Beans from scratch (Yield: 6-7 cups)

First the soup
1 lb. Dry Pinto, or Black Beans
1 tsp. Marjoram or Oregano
2 tsp. Black Pepper
2 tsp. Salt, added during last 1/2 hour of cooking soup

Sort & remove debris. Place in pan of water, swish to rinse, and remove any floating beans. Drain water, & refill to 3X level of the beans. Soak overnight. Rinse beans next day & add water to about 1" above beans & bring to simmer in heavy pot (Dutch oven), Cover bring to boil on high heat.Put in pot 275* F oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours, You can cook in crock pot on high for about 3-5 hours. Check water level either method, to keep beans just barely covered while cooking. Test Beans. Squeeze 3-4 beans from different areas. If all are soft & tender, they’re done. If even just one is a little hard, cook longer.

Needed for 1 lb of cooked beans.
4-6 Tbsp. Bacon Grease
2 Tbsp. Real Butter (‘Not’ Margarine)

Refried part is best done in smaller batches. (Just divide beans, grease & butter amounts)
Heat bacon grease in heavy pan on med high, until quite hot, but not smoking. Ladle beans into pan with juice keeping juice below top of beans. Bring to low boil & using a fork or potato masher, mash beans half way, leaving chunks & some whole beans. Reduce heat to low & stir to prevent scorching. Add bean broth if too thick, or more drained beans if too thin. Cook until slightly thinner than you prefer. They’ll thicken on plate. Stir in butter at end, & serve. Freeze any leftover bean soup for next time.

Good recipe too. Thanks!

2lbs of pinto or peruano beans soaked in water for 4 hours

Then drain water and in big pot and add water and put your beans on the stove in low.

Add 1/4 onion and 3 garlic cloves

This will take about 2 -3 hours when done add salt to taste. About 5 tbs of salt. Give or take.

To check when they are done get a tbs of beans and taste and every bean should be soft if one of them are hard they need more time

Maribel said peruanos beans will need less salt.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks Tony.

I have tried all kinds of things. The baking soda doesn't work plus you need to use so much to make a difference the beans taste like crap. Not using the water the beans were cooked in but the beans won't taste as good. The key to making good refried beans is to use fresh beans and don't salt too early.

To make refried beans I add beans to a frying pan warm them up then take a potato masher and cream the beans. I like my refried beans a little chunky. Toward the end I add a little taco seasoning and some Mexican blend cheese.

I can't stand the refried beans in a can, they look and smell like dog food to me.

Back