Fresh Versus Frozen

Thinking back through almost all of my cooks, and being the bargain hunter that I am, I've realized that just about every cook I have done in my backyard has been meat that has been thawed from frozen. I seem to buy what's on special, and toss it into the deep freeze. Most everything I have bought was not frozen at the time I purchased it, so it went from fresh to frozen to thawed prior to cooking.

This weekend, I went to the store, bought a packaged butt (Tyson) that I assume to have been never frozen. It almost immediately went into a dry rub marinade for 6 to 8 hours before going on the smoker. This butt turned out to be one of the most tender pieces of pork that I've ever cooked. Is it at least partially due to the fact that it hadn't been frozen? Does it make sense that fresh meat could be more 'relaxed' and therefore more tender?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Personally, I don't think so. I've always understood that freezing meat (properly) does not affect its texture and taste. Too bad you didn't buy two packages - one to cook and one to freeze. Then you could have run a test. I'm thinking the stars aligned - good piece of meat, good rub, perfect cooking and pulling it off at the right time . . . Take a bow :)

I am a couponer, so when I see a deal, I stock up. Personally I find previously frozen meat is more tender. When you freeze meat, the moisture becomes ice crystals and can help tenderize meat. How you freeze the meat matters. I buy frozen whenever possible, because this meat is frozen using a quick freeze method. Quicker freeze means smaller ice crystals. A slow freeze can cause large ice crystals. The larger the crystal, the more it will rip into the cells in the meat leaving less structure to hold in moisture.

When shopping, I always dig for the most frozen meat if I am not cooking it within a couple days. If there isn't any, I ask the butcher. As long as the meat is still partially frozen, it freezes quickly and stays tender. When freezing, don't stack on top of each other, a single layer is best to allow more surface area of your meat to come in contact with the freezing air. I invested in a Foodsaver (less air, less chance for freezer burn). I have had amazing steaks come off the grill 6+ mos after I bought them.

-Jayde

I am a couponer, so when I see a deal, I stock up. Personally I find previously frozen meat is more tender. When you freeze meat, the moisture becomes ice crystals and can help tenderize meat. How you freeze the meat matters. I buy frozen whenever possible, because this meat is frozen using a quick freeze method. Quicker freeze means smaller ice crystals. A slow freeze can cause large ice crystals. The larger the crystal, the more it will rip into the cells in the meat leaving less structure to hold in moisture.

When shopping, I always dig for the most frozen meat if I am not cooking it within a couple days. If there isn't any, I ask the butcher. As long as the meat is still partially frozen, it freezes quickly and stays tender. When freezing, don't stack on top of each other, a single layer is best to allow more surface area of your meat to come in contact with the freezing air. I invested in a Foodsaver (less air, less chance for freezer burn). I have had amazing steaks come off the grill 6+ mos after I bought them.

-Jayde

Yep to all of the above.

My preference is to buy and cook "fresh" (fresh does not necessarily mean never frozen though when it comes to meat at retail) but most of the time brisket comes out of my freezer due to the economics of buying on sale.
Those frozen briskets are even more tasty when they were bought at the package price of $25 verses the typical going rate of $45.

I have read many articles about frozen/fresh meat.
There is certainly no consensus among experts or consumers on which is "better".
Every time I pull one of those bargains out to thaw it I am glad the sticker price is not 2x what I paid.

As long as it doesn't stay in the freezer too long and get freezer burned. Previously frozen meat seems to cook quicker.

Back