Fresh/green ham?

JKalchik

TVWBB Emerald Member
I've got a fairly large (18-20 lbs.) fresh/green ham from one of my coworkers (semi-heritage breed, don't recall which.) At the moment, it's hard frozen in the deep freeze. In 2 weeks, we're having an office potluck/smorgasbord. My intent is to smoke the day before.

So.....

1) Cured or uncured? While I've got injectors & such, it's at -23 F, and will take a couple of days to fully thaw. I'd only plan on 7-9 days of cure time. Is that enough for a large ham, even with injections? I'd also have to go chasing down the nitrates/nitrites for a cure over the weekend (I should be able to find those.)

2) Smoking.... I've been reading in various parts of the 'net to treat it like a butt, 225-250 degrees. Most suggest 155-165 degrees internal, a couple say up to 190ish (that sounds a little high, this should be leaner than a butt.)

What says the Heatermeter collective consciousness?

You're better off putting this in a different subforum.

I've only done 2 hams in my life, was planning on doing one this year for thanksgiving but I don't have the time so I ordered one from Snake River Farms. With that said the two I have done were about 15-18# each, and I did a wet cure on both with injection for 7 days. After that I cooked it at 300 until 160* IT was reached. I would recommend you wrap the cooked ham in plastic and put it in the fridge for at least one day to allow the smoke to mellow a little bit. Then reheat just before serving to 140*. Delicious!

I thought about a different subforum.... but I'm not sure that I want to tread on our hosts' toes too much, as I'm not using a Weber product (although I have in the past, might again in the future, and will probably still tell folks to consider their products.)

I hadn't thought about the possibility about smoking it early, chilling it down completely, then reheat for service. It'll be served out of a slow cooker in the office. Slicing it while it's cold, and then warming it up in the slow cooker in the office sounds like a good idea (and lets me work around potential weather as well. No hurricanes here, but I'm looking at wet sludge coming down here over the weekend.)

This should be posted in the following forum.
http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?62-Charcuterie

Everyone on the forum is very friendly and willing to help. Don't worry that you are not using a weber smoker or grill. More people will see your post and no one will hassle you. The goal of the forum is to help others and have a good time. I have no doubt that there are people here that can help you.

Back