Free Summit Monster

Sadly everything about that stuff is one big rust bucket even the cabinets. Too bad. People bad mouth other products for rusting into oblivion in short order, and that's fine but honestly at least they're not trying to hit people for $2k to $3k for them

I agree with Larry but for free it would be hard to pass on even if just to relist for a modest price.

Free is free! Those 3rd generation Summits are not at all my favorite grills. I think the add-ons, while almost certainly equally rust prone and originally over-priced, would still be an easy sell to someone with a working Summit of that variety.

Even so, I would not get involved right now even if it were close to me! Too many better projects and STILL trying to get situated in our house even as I am learning to deal with endless leaves from our yard full of oak and maple trees and trying to understand "winterizing" my house. My shop keeps being pushed back down on the priority list, but it is slowly becoming functional. So far, I can keep it plenty warm with a small space heater, so I have hopes of doing stuff when nothing else can be done outside. Of course, my wife will have honeydo items inside as well!

Jon, leave are leaves. They fall off trees and lay on the ground. Next spring, you can get out and mulch them up with the mower and eventually they become lawn fertilizer. Don't buy into the raking and bagging thing. With Oak trees around, it is almost endless. They drop leaves late and then only drop about half of them. Next spring, when the trees wake back up and start budding out, the rest will drop and your lawn will be full of them again.
A leaf blower is your friend to blow them out of the garage and away from the house.

I tried that a couple times Bruce BUT if you value the work into having a halfway decent lawn the leaf mold will kill a lawn faster than you can say spit. Now I do not leave them laying there. They get cleaned up and burned and or mulched really well so they do not get moldy and ruin a good lawn.

Faith and I, working together with a blower and the John Deere, have managed to mulch most all of the leaves in our front and back yards. Still some left in our "side" yard - which is really a second lot. Our yard has some very deep swales that make it kind of interesting! We were told that the sellers just blew all the leaves to the bottom of the swales and set them on fire. Our lawn is pretty poor - especially after a parching dry late summer and fall - so I thought mulching the leaves in would be a good thing. I also sprinkled on some fall weed and feed. Everything is so different from what I knew in Florida; I am just trying to learn :unsure: .

IMG_5665.jpeg

IMG_5904.jpeg

Yessir, Indiana sure ain’t Florida! Get ready for winter Jon. I don’t know how awful it’s going to be but, it’s going to be a big change from yours of last year.
Honestly, if I didn’t live in town, I’d not bother dealing with the leaves in my yard much at all. I have a mammoth walnut tree which I have a love/hate relationship with. Always dropping whippets and twigs, leaves drop whenever they darned well feel like it! The red maple out front waits until it’s almost the last then they go in two days!
This year, I had everything out front the day before the “scheduled” first pick up and they sat there for two weeks before they were cleared (poorly) but, hey, they hauled them to the community compost heap.
My neighbor has a silver maple that hangs over the driveway which waits until after the city has done the pick up! She asked if I would like her to take it down but, it shades my kitchen from the summer morning sun so, I can deal with a few thousand leaves.

Larry, our soil up here is basically all just sand. There really are no "nice" laws around me unless someone trucked in an 8" layer of good topsoil for their yard. But, still, I will never rake leaves again. I have had many yards in my time and never had much problem with mold or anything like that. Now, crab grass is another story. I do lay down some crab grass preventer in the spring..

Jon, I like that tall grass you have at the end of your driveway. I keep telling myself I am going to plant some of that but never get around to it. Do you or anyone else know if that is planted from seed or transplants?

Jon, I like that tall grass you have at the end of your driveway. I keep telling myself I am going to plant some of that but never get around to it. Do you or anyone else know if that is planted from seed or transplants?
I had to laugh at that comment. I like them too, but know little about them. Tall grasses grown in Florida are usually started from potted plants. I laughed because that photo was taken right after I sold an in-ground basketball hoop & light that the sellers had installed right between those plants. After it was gone, my father-in-law said, "Are going to pull out these weeds now?!!!" When Faith and I told him they were decorative plants, he just walked off mumbling something about "To each his own..." It is quite the hoot - and sometimes quite a challenge - having to over 80-year olds living with us:oops:!

Yeah we get leaf mold here REALLY bad if leaves are not raked and gone before snow comes. And it's miserable to try and get your lawn back after leaf mold. I just finished doing the last of the burning and hopefully mulching this past Saturday. Thankfully this year the leaves were so dry they did not need any help to light off. I blew/raked them into the culvert on the back corner, put a lighter to them and I had a conflagration. Very little smoke lots of heat and done in literally minutes.
Jon, you must be pretty far south yet because it looks like your "fall" is about 3 weeks behind ours here

The picture with the golden leaves was at least three weeks ago. The sunset picture with bare trees was in the past week.

I like that tall grass you have at the end of your driveway. I keep telling myself I am going to plant some of that but never get around to it. Do you or anyone else know if that is planted from seed or transplants?
My Wife did ours from seed but she says you could buy them from nurseries and home improvement stores potted.
Grasses Miscanthus. Ours get about 6' tall our son down the street has them 12' tall.

This is the one we have, I guess "Zebra" Miscanthus. It has stripes on the leaves and as the write up says starting in the late summer it blooms and has really well all the way into this late fall:

Does this stuff spread if you allow it to? I have seen where people had it covering very large areas in their yards. Like 100 ft x 20 ft.

Jon, that link shows several pictures of the grass and in the photos, none seem to have the silvery tops to them like yours.

Ours doesn't spread, only grows where you plant it. Most use it as a privacy/wind break hedge.
It is green during the summer ( some varieties have different colors) then turns silvery brown in the fall, when the plumes form.
Early spring I'll use the hedge trimmer to cut a few feet off the top.

Last edited:

Back