Free Performer

Nice Job Paul!
If you look at the pic I posted of the Limited Edition Performer you can see where the user installed Limited Edition's Black Wheels that come with the Kettle. They should be a direct fit. However you will have to install some some of those smaill plastic hubcaps to keep them on. The Kettle uses Cotter pins, but the hupcaps will work also. Here is a pic what they look like on one of my Kettles installed with the hupcaps without the star cover.

This is just an option for you if you decide do this. It is your Performer you build how you want. That is All the Fun in the Process.

20220714_174551.jpg

Last edited:
I considered using those wheels since I already have them on my Limited Edition donor kettle. I thought the wheels on kettles were only 6” vs 8” on the Performer. That would throw it out of level with the casters installed. Maybe I need to measure them.

I considered using those wheels since I already have them on my Limited Edition donor kettle. I thought the wheels on kettles were only 6” vs 8” on the Performer. That would throw it out of level with the casters installed. Maybe I need to measure them.

You could always add a small extension to the front leg to level it out.

The extra height is nice, IMO

Yes, They are 8" Wheels on Limited compared to 6" Wheels on the Premium.

View attachment 55285
Aha. I guess I should have pulled out the tape measure. You know what happens when you assume. I think you just made up my mind about what to do with my wheels!

Great Paul, I thought you might you might want to save the cash you spend on new wheels and apply it to another part of your mod

The frame is together. I cleaned the stainless with some 0000 steel wool but it still needs some polishing. I'm not sure if I should get new wheels, new inserts or maybe try something completely different. Next up is the kettle! Oh, and I need to get a 5lb tank.
View attachment 55230
This looks beautiful! Hoping mine will look like this in a few days. Thanks for sharing!

Those big tires look sweet.
I cook with my performer on dirt.
It wasn’t that bad until the gopher or moles made the ground sink in a few spots.

Things were a little slow at work today and it wasn't 95F out so I put in some time on my project. I laid out the mounting bracket locations according to Louis at R Shack's youtube video
. All the holes lined up so I'm pretty happy with the results. Now I really need to move along because I don't have another option for cooking on charcoal.
Weber 5.jpgWeber 6.jpgWeber 7.jpgWeber 10.jpg

This morning I was pondering whether I should just use the kettle as is or forge ahead and add the igniter. As you will see I decided on the latter. It really wasn't as big a deal as I kept trying to convince myself. I marked out the location for the igniter tube, drilled a pilot hole and used a step bit to get the hole to 7/8". Then I used a dremel with a tungsten burr to shape the hole into an oval so the end of the tube would pass through. After that it was just a matter of locating the hole for the mounting bracket and attaching it in place. Once that was done I used a cutoff wheel to remove the handle. Only issue I have now is the flame. It is not reaching the end of the tube. I can see it at the orifice where the hose attaches but nothing inside the kettle. Problem for another day, at least I can use it this weekend!

Weber 12.jpgWeber 13.jpgWeber 14.jpgWeber 15.jpgWeber 16.jpg

I thought before I invest in a new hose and regulator maybe some basic troubleshooting is in order. It didn't look like the previous owned had used the igniter in some time as the hose and regulator were in the charcoal bin. I gave it a visual once over, everything looks ok. I got my cutting torch tip cleaners out and ran one through the brass fitting that attaches to the igniter tube. Voila! I have a nice clean flame. Weber Flame.jpg

Usually what happens is spiders build cobwebs inside and prevent them from lighting. Using a air compressor or a shop vac to blow them out remedies that situation. It is a good maintenance tip to clean them out once in while

Back