Free Performer

Paul John

TVWBB Member
I picked this up for free this morning, a FB Marketplace find. The woman who owned it was sad to see it go. She said she used it up until last week but her kids got her a new Performer for Mother's Day and this one needs repairs that she isn't capable of doing. She even saved the original manual. She was thrilled that I am going to do my best to revive it and asked me to send her pics when I'm done. It's not in too bad shape but I have to repair the crossbar on the bottom. I'm thinking about replacing the kettle with a Limited Edition Red I have on hand and am debating if I should try to modify it for the charcoal ignition system.
Performer.jpgWeber DD.jpgWeber manual.jpg

Nice find! I hope you can give it a new life. Keep us posted with pictures if you will so we can see your progress.

Finally got some time so I dissembled the Performer this morning. It's in pretty good shape except for these two areas. I'm replacing the bowl so that's no big deal. The worst part is the rust out on the crossmember. I can pick up some 1 inch square tube to replace it, just trying to decide is I should mig weld it in or use the 1/4" threaded inserts like the longer cross pieces use. I'd imagine welding it would be tricky as the steel is pretty thin. Any suggestions from those who have tackled something similar?

weber legs.jpgweber bowl.jpg

The extra “daisy wheel” opening has me stumped, why would you do that?(why would one have done that to be more the point)

Cross member question is do you want moisture back into the tube or not. Isn't that how it rusted out in the first place.

Cross member question is do you want moisture back into the tube or not. Isn't that how it rusted out in the first place.
Since I'm leaning toward using the inserts and new hardware I'm going to clean inside the tubing and coat them with fluid film. I'm getting to the age where longevity isn't as much a concern as it once was.

You can still seal the joints around the inserts , using several types of sealers from simple clear, or black RTV "silicone" to many other types of your choice.

I've made some progress on the Performer. I decided that welding in a new cross piece made the most sense. I have a friend who does some welding for me at work and he was happy to do it for me.
weber legs.jpg
weber legs 2.jpg
The frame is completely cleaned and I hit the insides of the tubes with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W7T48TY/?tag=tvwb-20). Next up is painting the frame and assembly before I tackle drilling the kettle for the mounting tabs and igniter tube.

Next up is painting the frame and assembly before I tackle drilling the kettle for the mounting tabs and igniter tube.
Paul not sure you have seen this link from our friends from WKC but hopefully it helps you.

Paul not sure you have seen this link from our friends from WKC but hopefully it helps you.

Thanks Brian, I have seen that write up. I’ve drilled through kettles for temperature probe ports but the hole for the igniter is a bit more intimidating. I may try a test run on an old kettle to build up my courage.

Paul, good luck the task is daunting if you ask me but I have taken certain projects on some with success others not so. Really IMO better to find a gas assist performer and retro it into the SSP if you want to keep the stainless tables, tough call but will be following this thread to see your progress.

I love that style of cart for the weber performer, simple design....I thought about building one out of square tubing but my welding skills aren't up to par

Paul you made a great decision in welding the cross member. It is a much cleaner look and it will last much longer. Your Performer is coming along nicely. I have a 2nd Gen and a 3rd Gen. I am still looking for a 1st Gen like yours to complete the Trifecta. Enjoying your progress and keep those pics coming!

The frame is together. I cleaned the stainless with some 0000 steel wool but it still needs some polishing. I'm not sure if I should get new wheels, new inserts or maybe try something completely different. Next up is the kettle! Oh, and I need to get a 5lb tank.
Weber Frame.jpg

Back