Frankengrill or rarity?

Tork T

TVWBB Member
Weber Folks,

I just got back into town and this is listed for sale...$100. I might go take a look at it, but it looks like it needs a lot of work. Is this a Frankengrill or some rare gem?

Thanks!!

107815427_10216791839645099_1270223795843467906_o.jpg

Last edited:
Everything I see but the lid is a rare gem. That's a first generation Genesis from the '80s. I restored a couple of them here:

Gerry

It is definitely Frankenstein, but as already observed, the main part dates back to the 80’s and has collector value. Besides the later hood I am pretty sure the side burner is also an add on. It is not the very early version.

What about the firebox? I think it has been determined that a 13 bar firebox won't go into a later Silver B/C frame, but will a 5 bar firebox go into the early frame?

What about the firebox? I think it has been determined that a 13 bar firebox won't go into a later Silver B/C frame, but will a 5 bar firebox go into the early frame?
Nope, they are not interchangeable either way without significant modification.

I'll go check it out...if the frame is rusted what parts should I consider collectible, and what would the parts be worth? The frame looks like the same size as my Genesis 2000.

I'll go check it out...if the frame is rusted what parts should I consider collectible, and what would the parts be worth? The frame looks like the same size as my Genesis 2000.
Hi Tork, The manifold, firebox which I believe is a 13 bar, the drip pan and control panel are worth keeping since they don't make them any more. Probably worth something to you if you have a similar grill.

Knobs, tank scale and insides of the grill can be easily replaced.

Everything I see but the lid is a rare gem. That's a first generation Genesis from the '80s. I restored a couple of them here:

Gerry
Gerry! Thanks for the link....your restores are first rate. I'm not sure I'm up to dealing with the rebuild of the grill but all the parts seem to be there (except lid and side table/burner). It has the the old style wheels and the funky flip up table connected to the bolt that might hold the firebox in. If I can get it for close to free I'm in. Thanks again

Hi Tork, The manifold, firebox which I believe is a 13 bar, the drip pan and control panel are worth keeping since they don't make them any more. Probably worth something to you if you have a similar grill.

Knobs, tank scale and insides of the grill can be easily replaced.
BPratt- yep, the firebox is 13 bars and the drip pan looks decent enough. The manifold is different than a Genesis 1000-5000?
Thanks for the reply!

If it were a grill I was interested in saving for myself, rather than scrap a frame for rust, I would be inclined to first spray the inside with a rust restorer-type product, then buy a can of "fireblock" expanding foam to fill the frame with.

But first, how far gone is it? Is it a 13 bar or 5 bar?
Ed- thanks for the reply. Not likely too far gone rust wise, but maybe more than I want to deal with.... my wife is starting to wonder about the Weber parts in the backyard and I've been doing this only one month!

Tork,
If you get it, PM about what parts you might want to sell off.

p.s. Larry, yeah, it IS UGGGLY but the early Genesis parts are still kind of cool:cool:.

BPratt- yep, the firebox is 13 bars and the drip pan looks decent enough. The manifold is different than a Genesis 1000-5000?
Thanks for the reply!
The manifold should be compatible to an older grill with a 13 bar firebox. There is a side burner so if you don't want to use it you can plug the hole in the manifold.

That grill may have gone through a no money "resto-mod" so beware.

I couldn’t rightfully spend any money on that grill so I passed it up. Agreed- it was one ugly Weber. Thanks for the input!

Back