Found another cheap Q2200

Ok. So far I have no one even asking for my Q2200. Not even low balls. Thinking if customizing it to Cowboys and or Rangers fans. Meaning I am thinking of painting the lid in dark blue. However I am having a hard time finding a dark blue which is rated at the 1000F range. Duplicolor has a Ford Dark Blue but with my disastrous experience of the Duplicolor 500 degree paint I do not want to use that paint again. The VHT Flameproof SP110 seems to be a very bright blue.

It would have looked better if I didn't have to sand down the first try at painting it.

I guess one just has to wait long enough. Finally sold it today after about 3 months. I added the Weber cart which I got 50% off at Lowe’s and a cover which I also got 50% off. I guess that made the package a bit more attractive. But the Q are really a hard sell.

Speaking as a relative rookie: the Q series is a hard sell until they are field tested, lol. I friggin' love them but would never have bought one just simply by looking at a pic or display. I'm happy for you that yours sold!

That's too bad that you had to wait so long. I personally think the 2200 is the nicest of the Qs and the one you had was in virtually new condition. I hope you at least made a little for your trouble. I would still like to experiment with some using different colors. Trouble is that the colors I really like are only in 550 degree engine paint. I have it on my long list to experiment with a precoat of very high heat primer, a coat of engine paint and then a coat of very high heat gloss to see if that will allow the engine paint to work acceptably. I want to make a Pontiac blue, as has been beautifully displayed here previously, and also try out some lighter green and even teal.

I love all of the Q's, but they are definitely a seasonal seller.
I am stockpiling for next year right now. 5 ready, and hope to have 2 more
ready with in a week.

Dave,
I can definitely see that. To most people it is a tailgater or camping grill. I have a stand for mine like the Q3200 comes in. I see it also as a fun “lunch” grill or other smaller cook. Stingy on gas and easy to cook with and clean up when done.

Simplicity, durability and performance. What more could you want in a grill. The prices are not bad either.

Speaking as a relative rookie: the Q series is a hard sell until they are field tested, lol. I friggin' love them but would never have bought one just simply by looking at a pic or display. I'm happy for you that yours sold!

I agree with that. I have a Q1200 that I got for camping. Originally was really trying to get something cheaper as I only do it a few times a year and wasn't sure how often I'd cook.

Now that I have it, I don't know why I considered anything else, it cooks great, well thought out, sturdy.

However, in the age where 4 burner full size stainless grills at walmart are under $200.... a little portable aluminum grill for $210 new is a tougher sell. also in the world of grilling, they're an optional, secondary or tertiary grill, not a main grill; so the audience, in general, is smaller.

Last edited:
However, in the age where 4 burner full size stainless grills at walmart are under $200.... a little portable aluminum grill for $210 new is a tougher sell. also in the world of grilling, they're an optional, secondary or tertiary grill, not a main grill; so the audience, in general, is smaller.

I think this is a problem in general. People love stainless steel grills. And they need to be cheap. Underlying quality and brand name are not that important anymore. This might also be the reason why the old style Weber grills don't sell that well in my area anymore. I am having more and more problems selling these old refurbished ones. They are not stylish enough. Why paying $200 for a restored old fashioned grill when you can get a new shiny SS grill for the same price. No one cares about durability anymore. Our home improvement stores have 20 -50 el-cheapo grill sitting in front of their doors but only a handful of Weber grills inside.

$210 for a new Q1200 is too much. They can be had for $180 pretty regular. That being said, I still wouldn't pay that. Find a used one for $25 and throw a new $50 grate on it and you have a seasoned grill for under $100. In the winter is when I use my q200 the most. I have a Q100 for the camper but that stays in the camper. I have Q200 on the deck for quick and small cooks which is most of them. In the winter, it is just easier than running out the drive way every 5 minutes to flip a chicken breast, steak or burger.

I paid $60 for my Q1200. Bought it second hand but it was never used. And it came with 2 1lb propane tanks. Same for one of my Q2200 I sold. The guy had it stored away and never used it. Paid $75 for that. Including a brand new adapter hose for a 20lb tank.

I don't even think they did the Q2xx grill with NFL logos. They did the Q1xx grills in various logos though. If I could figure a reasonable way to do logos, I would. The best I can think of is just to do the grill in team colors. You don't have the copyright issues that way either.

$210 for a new Q1200 is too much. They can be had for $180 pretty regular. That being said, I still wouldn't pay that. Find a used one for $25 and throw a new $50 grate on it and you have a seasoned grill for under $100. In the winter is when I use my q200 the most. I have a Q100 for the camper but that stays in the camper. I have Q200 on the deck for quick and small cooks which is most of them. In the winter, it is just easier than running out the drive way every 5 minutes to flip a chicken breast, steak or burger.

$210 seems to be the regular price by me. maybe if you talk to a dealer they'll come down, but they don't appear to run "sales" on them. Target I think when they used to carry them would clear them out at the end of the season, but by me, they don't carry them anymore.

I found mine NIB on craigslist from a garden center dealer clearing out old stock. I paid $120 I think.

Maybe in Wisconsin there is a plethora of $25 Q grills, but in NY everyone wants $75-125 for their crappy used ones. Maybe once in blue moon you'd get a cheapie, but I didn't want to wait a full season and drive all over to find one. I was happy to get a $85 discount from new. People also seem to take crappy care of things. for $25, used might be worth it. for $75-100, ehh.

the resto thing is kinda cool, I really dig the painted lids, sure beats my "titanium beige" lid . I restored a Performer, and honestly regret it. It was more trouble than it was worth, paid too much for the grill and had to replace too much.

When you guys talk about painting the Q lids, any tips for doing that? Just remove handle, clean, tape off and spray away? Is there a particular spray that works well on the Qs? I love my Q, but wouldn't mind throwing some color on it

Back