For those trying to decide between the 18.5 & 22.5 WSM

Robb Walters

Just wanted to share my experience... prior to selling last month, I was the proud owner of the 18.5 WSM for 6-7 years. Although I LOVED my "lil' guy", I was always finding myself annoyed by the lack of space when doing large cooks, or wanting to lay ribs flat. After much research (including the possibility of buying something other than a WSM
icon_eek.gif
) I came to the conclusion that NOTHING on the market can give you more bang for your buck than the 22.5 WSM. Like others, I was nervous about the additional fuel consumption. However, since getting my new "big guy" I can honestly say that there is not one thing that I regret about it. Temps are SUPER stable, fuel consumption is NOT bad at all, and space is VERY generous. Bottom line, if you are on the fence like I was... my vote is without a doubt for the 22.5.

Don't get me wrong, they are both GREAT smokers, but if you find yourself sometimes annoyed like I was, this will definitely solve that problem... the other great part... there is a GREAT resale market for WSM's on Craigslist... should you need to sell your lil' guy
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Robb Walters:
.... However, since getting my new "big guy" I can honestly say that there is not one thing that I regret about it. Temps are SUPER stable, fuel consumption is NOT bad at all, and space is VERY generous. Bottom line, if you are on the fence like I was... my vote is without a doubt for the 22.5.

I second and third these sentiments. I've been the owner of three WSMs - 2 18.5 and one 22.5. I had both 18.5s before acquiring the 22.5.

First 18.5 I bought used (and abused), cleaned it up and added new grills, never used it, and sold it.

Second one was purchased brand new in box, assembled, sat in the garage for 6 months+ (never used), and sold 2 weeks ago.

The 22.5 is now my only WSM, and will provide all the WSM space I ever need.

I agree.
I started with a 18 1/2" WSM last year and got
the 22 1/2" this year. I use an 18 1/2" charcoal ring in the 22 1/2".

Bob

Same story here.
I had the wsm 18.5 for a month or so - but really needed space if I was doing ribs and also wanted to make beans. So I sold it and have not regretted.
/Mike

I love my WSM 18, but wish I had the 22. The 18 works well for me with everything besides ribs. I like to keep my ribs flat and would prefer to not cook half racks.

I can get 3 half racks on each grate and can add an additional grate for another rack. However, there are time when I want more than 4 racks. The 22 would allow 6 whole racks cooked flat without adding an additional grate.

I'd thought about a ribolator for one of my kettles, but I can get a new 22 WSM for just a little more and get more rib capacity.

Just got my 22.5 couple weeks ago first was looking at getting 18.5 but changed my mine while getting read to order changed size after measuring a slab of ribs found that they would just fit on the 18.5 so checked the 22.5 box glad I did very happy with my choice.

Back