For spam lover

Speak of the devil.. Had this last night
Similar to musabi.. Spam marinated with teriyaki/Rice wine vinegar with egg and Havarti Cheese. I made the bread as well. Diced taters seasoned with R Butts R Smokin' Cherry Habanero Rub.

IMG_0250.JPGIMG_0248.JPG

HEY FELLOW SPAM LOVERS, what is going on here. Over a year and none of us has tried anything new?

Well, I went on a search in my folders of recipes to be filed and found this. Nothing too, too fancy, but it does sound good and it calls for GRILLING the SPAM.

Grilled Spam and Pineapple

3 TB. brown sugar
1 TB. prepared yellow mustard
1 pinch nutmeg
3 TB. honey
1 TB. melted butter
1 pinch cinnamon
1 (12 oz.) can SPAM, cut into 6 slices
6 slices fresh pineapple (same thickness as the Spam slices)
6 sesame seed hamburger buns (optional)

1. Preheat the grill to 350 to 400F for direct heating.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, mustard and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, mix together the honey, butter and cinnamon.
3. Place the Spam and pineapple slices side by side on the grill. Brush the Spam with the mustard glaze and the pineapple with the honey glaze. Cook for 3 minutes, turn them and brush the other side and cook 3 minutes more.
4. Remove and place on buns or plates. Serve 4 - 6

Source: "1,001 Best Grilling Recipes - Rick Browne - 2011

While on the subject, if you haven't checked out Rick Browne's book mentioned above, you are missing out on a heck of a lot of good stuff. Give it a look see ok?

Hi fellow SPAM lovers!!!! I can't believe it. Over 26,000 viewers. I have reread the whole thread and have a lot of recipes I would like DH to consider for dinner real soon. Yummy!!!!!!

Anybody have any new ideas?

Well, we didn't have any of the recipes posted here, but DH did cook slices of Spam coated in Pancko in a pan along with pineapple slices. Dinner was very good.

Yep, I checked all the meat recipes that I have posted here, and this SPAM post still has the most viewers. :rolleyes: 🥰

I didn`t even know we had a special section for Spam. We ate it when I was kid every once in a while I`ll pick up a can. Slice 1/8 inch thick throw in fry pan with butter. Smear mayo on bread for a quick sandwich. Not bad at all

Joan, I read through this entire thread and found it interesting. I have one question though, what has 26,000 viewers?

LAMPE-Darn, can't add the "s"

I don't know if Spam qualifies as "other meat" but since no one has posted on this thread in 15 months, who cares. lol

(plug coming up) While going through this cookbook for my cooking game on another site, I came across this recipe that DH and I have made twice now. Both times we gave it a "Very Good" rating and will surely make many more times.

The cookbook is "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook" by Ray Lampe - pub. 2005

Spam au Poivre

Coarsely ground black pepper
1 can of Spam Original, cut in four slices
Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce, to taste (recipe follows)

Prepare the grill for direct cooking at very high heat

Apply a heavy coat of black pepper to both sides of the Spam slices. Press it down so that it stays on. Grill the slices over the hot fire for just a few minutes on each side. When the slices are golden brown and crusty looking they are done. Serve with the mustard sauce.

Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce

3/4 cup yellow "ballpark" mustard
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 TB butter or margarine
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. Louisiana style hot sauce, or more to taste

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan, stirring to blend, and simmer over low heat for thirty minutes. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using. Yield: 1 3/4 cups.
Resurrecting this post in style😉
I followed the recipe except I used a pinch of salt in the BBQ sauce because, even reduced sodium Spam is on the salty side. There's way more sauce than is needed, but it's really good and will not go to waste.
I stuck a chunk of hickory in the coals.
Thanks for sharing!

Attachments

• 20230721_182937.jpg
    20230721_182937.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230721_183226.jpg
    20230721_183226.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 4
Rick, thank you soo much for trying this. I can't believe we forgot about it. Going in our make soon folder. Great pictures!!!!!

Rick, thank you soo much for trying this. I can't believe we forgot about it. Going in our make soon folder. Great pictures!!!!!
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I was really surprised at how well it turned out. I thought that the pepper would burn and/or overwhelm. It did not. It worked perfectly.

Bacon-Wrapped Spam Bites

I usually don't post recipes until after we have made them, but I just saw this in the mag. that came the other day and couldn't wait to share it with fellow SPAM lovers. I hope we will make this soon.

Bacon-Wrapped Spam Bites
(makes 32 pieces)

18 bacon strips
1 can (12 oz.) reduced-sodium SPAM, cut into 32 cubes
1/3 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 garlic clove, minced

Preheat oven to 400F. Cut bacon strips crosswise in half. In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; keep warm.

Wrap a bacon piece around each Spam cube; secure with a toothpick. Place in a 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Combine mustard, syrup and garlic, drizzle over Spam. Bake until bacon is crisp, 5-10 minutes longer.

Source: Taste of Home mag. Apr/May 2019

I know you can buy Maple Bacon but I think first time trying this, we would rather use the maple syrup.
10 days after posting this we did make it, but it looks like I didn't post that we did. Sorry, my notes said it was very good. AND almost 5 years later, DH made it again for dinner tonight and it still got a Very Good!!!!

Back