For CAT lovers

And these guys - both indoor only... These were my first two cats. Sadly they are both gone. The tabby (Perkins) was thrown from a car window in New York when she was a tiny baby (too young to eat properly). I took her home (from Orange, MA) loose, on the front seat of my pickup. She spent the entire trip snuggled against my leg, rolled in a ball as big a bagel. Perkins was a laid back, outgoing cat, friendly to visitors. She lived almost 17 totally spoiled years.

The grey cat (named Greycat) was a feral. He was caught in a trap by a shelter worker after spending several months living in an abandoned car. I brought Greycat home in a cage and let Perkins and him acclimate through the wire mesh for a bit. Then I let him out - and never saw him again for like two weeks, save for a flash now and then. The two cats instantly became best friends.

It took a while for me to be able to approach Greycat and it really seemed that Perkins was a sort of bridge between me and the feral guy. Eventually, he trusted me to no end. I could easily trim his claws and I used to pick the tartar off his teeth with my fingernail (Perkins too). Greycat was very reclusive and would hide if I had visitors. After the visitors left, he'd wait about a half hour and then carefully and intently search each room to make sure all was clear.

Being feral, Greycat had a few odd quirks. One was guarding. He would guard Perkins while she ate (sit at attention a couple feet behind her and carefully watch for danger). When I ate he guarded me in the same way. An other quirk was he never put his face in the bowl to drink water. He'd dip his paw in and lift it up to lick - all the while his eyes darting side to side - always on guard. And before dipping he'd whack the top of the water a few times with his paw, jumping backward with each whack, to make sure nothing was lurking in it. Greycat lived just about 15 totally spoiled years.

Attachments

• PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 5
You're a good man John. Never was a cat person until we rescued a starving momma kitty and her kittens from my wife's work, probably about 6 years ago. I still have the momma and the one boy she had, we also kept a girl, but the neighbor's dogs killed her. Anyway, I'm sure I'll always have cats for the rest of my days, I've really become quite fond of them

:fuming: There's a special place for people who do that.
Yes. Totally rotten people. The sad thing is we don't know if there were any other kittens. The couple who saw this happen searched up and down the road but found no more. The couple had just packed up their motorhome and trailer to attend the Orange MA engine and tractor show and were about to leave when this car drove by and the poor kitten got thrown out. They couldn't leave the baby home so they took it to the show. They already had a couple cats (and a couple dogs too) so they decided to try and find the kitten a home.

So they had their engines (old one lungers) all set up running and here was this little kitten, sitting on (and tied to) a milk crate, between two of the engines. Of course I asked why they had the kitten at the show and they told me the story. Well, that was it. I said I'd take it. Ha - not so fast they said. They invited me under their awning for a coke and - an interview. They wanted to make sure I would take good care of the kitten - so cool.

I made two good friends (the couple) whom I still see every year at the Orange show (and other shows) and I adopted the kitten - who instantly bonded to me. I carried her around in my hat at the show, which was like a little nest for her. Back home, the kitten followed me everywhere. I was clearly the "mommy cat".

Yes. Totally rotten people. The sad thing is we don't know if there were any other kittens. The couple who saw this happen searched up and down the road but found no more. The couple had just packed up their motorhome and trailer to attend the Orange MA engine and tractor show and were about to leave when this car drove by and the poor kitten got thrown out. They couldn't leave the baby home so they took it to the show. They already had a couple cats (and a couple dogs too) so they decided to try and find the kitten a home.

So they had their engines (old one lungers) all set up running and here was this little kitten, sitting on (and tied to) a milk crate, between two of the engines. Of course I asked why they had the kitten at the show and they told me the story. Well, that was it. I said I'd take it. Ha - not so fast they said. They invited me under their awning for a coke and - an interview. They wanted to make sure I would take good care of the kitten - so cool.

I made two good friends (the couple) whom I still see every year at the Orange show (and other shows) and I adopted the kitten - who instantly bonded to me. I carried her around in my hat at the show, which was like a little nest for her. Back home, the kitten followed me everywhere. I was clearly the "mommy cat".
Well done!

IMG_20140216_092526_711.jpg
This was our buddy, Loki. We were adopted by him as a 4 month old kitten, and a 1 year old Holstein kitty when we were still living in the Chicago area. Regretfully, we lost Loki to some ugly internal medical conditions when he was only about 12 years old. He had one of the most laid back feline personalities I've ever met.

Silli-Cat helping me with a little wiring job. In the second picture she's pulling that wire. Kitty said, "here, ya dumb old ape! You gotta hook up this neutral wire".

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 4
  • wiring2.jpg
    wiring2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 4
I've been a cat person my whole life. The wife, not so much. We love our two dogs and that's enough. But, our daughter just got two new kittens for the grand boys and Pam is really warming up to them. Now I can see a cat in our future.

Back