Food-grade spray bottle?

Paulie

Hey everyone,

Do they specifically sell food-grade spray bottles that hold your apple juice etc. for spritzing your smoked meats? I've never done this, but figure I should add this technique to my arsenal. However, I don't want to use anything that is going to make my food taste like plastic. What does everyone use? Any specific plastic number? Thanks all!

Yeah, I don't think it matters much as long as the bottle is clean and hasn't had any potentially unsafe contents. To play it safe, never use a bottle that's ever had a non-food ingredient in it (e.g.: cleaners, pesticides, etc.) and sterilize it (see http://www.gordonbrush.com/cleaning-disinfecting-sterilizing-plastics.html for steps).

Personally, we have a spray bottle of water that we use to "discipline" the cats when they need it. When I need a spray bottle for cooking, I just rinse that with hot water and maybe a few drops of bleach if there's any kind of film inside. Afterward, rinse again and refill with water.

You have to understand I'm a redneck.... The other night in my state of drunkenness I dropped pizza dough on the floor. I wasn't about waiting another 2 hours to make some more... I was like if 700 degrees doesn't kill it its my time to die....

I bought one and made sure it was food grade. I only use it for spritzing. Plastic can release a lot of toxins. 1 time probably won't give you cancer but over time it's not a good idea. They make plastic from oil. Think of all the nastiness crude oil has in it. My wife is pregnant as well so I'm not taking chances on that. If I live or die or grow a second head no big deal!

the problem with using regular empty spray bottles is that they are very hard to clean properly after using. I just use a plastic squeeze bottle.

Interesting question. I'm very cautious with this when marinating meats in dishes and that type of thing, but I've never really given much thought to spray bottles. I've always just picked one up at the store without a second thought. I'll probably be a little more cautions the next time I use one.

Yeah, I don't think it matters much as long as the bottle is clean and hasn't had any potentially unsafe contents. To play it safe, never use a bottle that's ever had a non-food ingredient in it (e.g.: cleaners, pesticides, etc.) and sterilize it (see http://www.gordonbrush.com/cleaning-disinfecting-sterilizing-plastics.html for steps).

Personally, we have a spray bottle of water that we use to "discipline" the cats when they need it. When I need a spray bottle for cooking, I just rinse that with hot water and maybe a few drops of bleach if there's any kind of film inside. Afterward, rinse again and refill with water.

Haha, should just leave the apple juice in there full time and give the cats a lovely shines wet look coat when you discispritz them!

Back