Foiling an 8 lb butt @ 165’

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
I’ve never foiled a butt before but I’m considering it on Sunday. It’s an 8 lb butt and I’m thinking of foiling at 165’ or when the stall starts. What’s the approximate time I can save and are there any negatives besides a loss of bark?
Thanks, Jeff

I think it all just kind of depends. I quit wrapping my pork butts at all, because me and my family like that thicker, crunchier bark. If the bark is about where you want it, then you wrap it, I don't think you will lose much in the way of bark.

I have found it is easier and more pleasant to use a “Throw-away” aluminum pan with an aluminum foil piece crimped over the top. I typically do two butts at once (one on each grate) as it takes the same amount of time and the same amount of charcoal. I make certain the bark is set before I “Wrap” and then proceed. I see no drawback. I tend to go at about 170 degrees before I wrap.

i use, of course, a separate pan for each butt.

FWIW,
Dale53

Last edited:
Depends on your target temp, but you could bump up the temp when you hit the stall vs foiling.
I go by when I like the color, ( I haven't temped a butt in years). I usually cook in the 275+ range.

Back