Foil wrap your Flavorizer bars?

AndrewClark

Hi everyone - just yesterday, I scored my dream Genesis II E-610 six-burner on Offer-up to compliment my other Weber family members (26.75 Performer Quarantine Project and 14" WSM). I'm going through all the typical clean-up and will more than likely purchase a new set of flavorizer bars. Unsolicited tip: millwork shims make great disposable scrapers for the cook box.

Question for you all: Has anyone ever thought to foil wrap their flavorizer bars? I was thinking of carefully folding some double-layer HD foil and then wrapping it around the bottom of the "V" so it stays put. I can't really think of how it would hurt anything... most folks wrap their water pans in foil on their WSMs so I figured why not. Is exposing the aluminum to that high of a temperature possibly bad from a toxicity perspective?

Couldn't find anywhere online where this had been discussed. Thanks,

Hi everyone - just yesterday, I scored my dream Genesis II E-610 six-burner on Offer-up to compliment my other Weber family members (26.75 Performer Quarantine Project and 14" WSM). I'm going through all the typical clean-up and will more than likely purchase a new set of flavorizer bars. Unsolicited tip: millwork shims make great disposable scrapers for the cook box.

Question for you all: Has anyone ever thought to foil wrap their flavorizer bars? I was thinking of carefully folding some double-layer HD foil and then wrapping it around the bottom of the "V" so it stays put. I can't really think of how it would hurt anything... most folks wrap their water pans in foil on their WSMs so I figured why not. Is exposing the aluminum to that high of a temperature possibly bad from a toxicity perspective?

Couldn't find anywhere online where this had been discussed. Thanks,
I like your thinking;-), but sadly no idea. I will let others tell us why it is a bad idea or not. I may have to try it if I decide to use the Genesis 5.

Waste of time. Foil will not hold up to the heat or the corrosive drippings
This would have been my thought too

Also, let's assume you get 5-10 cooks out of them before exchanging. If you were to scrape your flavorizer bars that frequently instead, you could remove all the crud that leads to breakdown.

Add up the cost of foil and time spent swapping over the years and you'd likely exceed the cost of a good pair of steel flavorizers.

If you're looking for durability, thicker steel is the way to go. Find Dave Santana, aka RCplaneBuyer (he's a memeber here, or has an eBay store), and buy his. They will outlive you.

I line the grease tray ( similar to secondary tray on Weber gassers ) and wrap the manifold ( similar to flavorizer bar ) on my Masterbuilt 560 with foil and have had no problem. I take it out and redo it after every second or third cook, only cuz I worry about a grease fire. I grill and smoke with the 560 and the foil holds up just fine and it makes clean up a lot easier. A lot of other Masterbuilt gravity feed owners do the same.

I also line the bottom of the cook chamber of my offset stick burner with foil.

Why?

I've had the same set of SS flav bars in my Silver B for 21 years. They get a scrape every now and then (or don't). Don't look like much, but still going strong.

As LD suggests, if you are worried about clean-up and grease fires, keep the slide out grease tray clean.

Yep, just buy a good 16 ga set of SS flavorizer bars and just have fun grilling.

I have certainly picked up one or maybe even two grills where the flavorizer bars were wrapped in aluminum foil that seemed to have been there for a while. Caked on really well :rolleyes: !

LOL. What other odd things have you found when you picked up a grill? People do some really strange stuff with their grills.

Maybe these flavorizers SHOULD have been wrapped in aluminum foil!

Shot Flavorizer Bars.jpeg

This grill was well "seasoned." I don't know why they bothered with the clamp to hold the crossburner; looks to me like the seasoning would take care of that:oops::

Gross Grill Interior.jpeg

Back