Flat Irons on Friday

DaleW

TVWBB Pro
I love this cut of beef. Lots of flavor and very tender. First hasselback potatoes on the grill.
imagewpt.jpg

Flat iron steaks were simply seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning. Rested for a little over an hour before going on the grill.
imageqycl.jpg

On the grill for a direct sear.
imagejvsc.jpg

Indirect to finish.
imagesuq.jpg

Let's not forget the peppers and onions, seasoned with EVOO, KS&P, and garlic herb.
imagefxnt.jpg

On the grill getting happy.
imagelltk.jpg

Steaks off and resting.
imageyly.jpg

Table is set.
imageeas.jpg

And plated.
imagexag.jpg

Steak, peppers and onions were great. Hasselbacks just OK. Need to work on those. Thanks for viewing!

The hasselback is a tough one. Had trouble with it myself. Maybe we should ask Jim Lampe for his sage advice on the subject. I did find that rinsing the potatoes after slicing to remove starch did help somewhat...

:) 400ºF + in the oven for an hour WITH butter basting every 15 minutes is a cool deal for the hasselbacks.
yours look GREAT Dale...
i've found they don't get done enough on the grill unless you leave them there indirect like you would in the oven...
and foiling does not crisp them...
anyway, a TERRIFIC lookin' Dinner, nonetheless!!

The only thing I use the oven for is drying my cast iron :D. I will keep giving it a go with the grill. Basting more with butter sounds like a good plan--you can never have too much butter!

Love the flat irons (Delmonicos in my neck of the woods).

I've made hasselbacks with both good and bad results but I've stopped trying because I am a skin lover when it comes to baked potatoes. I know that all of the skin is there but it's not the same as gnawing a whole russet skin after it's been grill roasted with some olive oil and sea salt rubbed on.

Back